• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19
  • Deals

Freedom of the Seas Review

Editor Rating
28 Awards

Great Cruise with good ports but some room for improvement..

Review for Freedom of the Seas to the Mexican Riviera
vernonct
First Time Cruiser • Age 40s

Sail Date: Feb 2012
Cabin: Large Oceanview Stateroom
Traveled with children

This was our First RC Cruise, but we have taken 3 cruises previously on Disney so most of the comparisons that I have are from sailing with Disney.

We arrived at Orlando Airport and were promptly escorted to a bus and were in route to the cruise port. Embarking was fairly easy. The wait was about 10-15 minutes and the check in person was helpful. Once on the ship we had to wait until 1 PM for our room to be ready, which it was ready on time. The ship is beautiful. I was impressed with the size and space that it has for it's guests. One of the things that I liked most was the pool area. They had 3 large hot tubs and 2 small hot tubs in the kids area for use for kids and adults. Disney had one hot tub in the Adults Only area. Disney's pools are incredibly small. I had talked to someone on the staff at Disney about that and it is due to people's kids constantly going to the bathroom in the pools ( which is true, it happened to us three times in one day which was really gross ). Since RC is geared more to older kids ( I felt ) and they impose a 6 month age on kids using the pool areas, I felt that was controlled MUCH better. The pools were clean and large enough for my family to play in. This was one of our first stops on the cruise when we got on the boat was the pool area. I will also mention that the fitness area was great. Disneys gym as small and did not have sa selection of equiment that was good. This gym was large and clean and I really liked it.

The next stop was the food -- the Windjammer is the primary buffet area on the ship. I have mixed feelings about the food on this boat. As I mentioned, I sailed with Disney before and the food was SUPERB. I have to say that I was honestly not that impressed with the food on RC. Granted, there was a large selection of food but most of it was not impressive. The eggs always had that powdered eggs look and feel to them, the food was very bland and tasteless. I tried to look at the positive in that I was avoiding gaining weight on the boat! Lol We had MyTime Dining reservations. I have to say that the wait staff was AWESOME. We had Allan and Albert as our waiters and Albert did magic tricks for my daughter which she really enjoyed. The food however was less memorable. The first night I got there I had the steak which was so thin and overcooked I did not eat there for nights 2 and 3 ( keeping in mind for MyTime Dining you have to prepay your dining gratuities that we were now not using due to the sub par food ). On nights 2 and 3 we went to Johney Rockets which has a $4.95 per person fee for dinner which was not too bad but that segways to my next topic.

Large Oceanview Stateroom