3. Carnival Dream
I was invited by my son to join his family for this cruise. I had hesitated to go on a Carnival cruise because of a perception that it was a party boat line for young drunken adults, with mediocre food. I found nothing could be further from the truth. The boat was great (the Dream), the service was great, the food was excellent, and the passengers were pleasant and cordial. I enjoyed the large ship for its many dining options, many pools and spa tubs, an adult relaxation area (Serenity section), wide Promenade deck (5), and a variety of entertainment options. There of course are things to point out to future travellers. I had a room on deck 9, and on dance night (held on deck 10), it sounded like the dance of the elephants above me. The biggest issue is the ports of call. Cozumel and Roatan were fine, with varied activities, natural beauty and a good anchorage. Belize was a "tendered" port, with a desperately poor and unattractive town in Belize City, and very rough sea conditions for water activities. Costa Maya had similarly rough sea conditions that cancelled many water activities. The eastern-facing Mexican ports often have such rough sea conditions, and the beaches are generally coral and rock with a little bit of sand. My recommendation is to do the Eastern or Southern Caribbean if you want nicer ports and beaches.I was invited by my son to join his family for this cruise. I had hesitated to go on a Carnival cruise because of a perception that it was a party boat line for young drunken adults, with mediocre food. I found nothing could be further from the truth. The boat was great (the Dream), the service was great, the food was excellent, and the passengers were pleasant and cordial. I enjoyed the large ship for its many dining options, many pools and spa tubs, an adult relaxation area (Serenity section), wide Promenade deck (5), and a variety of entertainment options. There of course are things to point out to future travellers. I had a room on deck 9, and on dance night (held on deck 10), it sounded like the dance of the elephants above me. The biggest issue is the ports of call. Cozumel and Roatan were fine, with varied activities, natural beauty and a good anchorage. Belize was a "tendered" port, with a desperately poor and unattractive town in Belize City, and very rough sea conditions for water activities. Costa Maya had similarly rough sea conditions that cancelled many water activities. The eastern-facing Mexican ports often have such rough sea conditions, and the beaches are generally coral and rock with a little bit of sand. My recommendation is to do the Eastern or Southern Caribbean if you wan nicer ports and beaches. Poor city, had to tender, rough water. Good harbor, great private beaches, attractive island.

Nice ship, good service, so-so ports

Carnival Dream Cruise Review by arozylo1

Poor city, had to tender, rough water.
Good harbor, great private beaches, attractive island.
arozylo1’s Full Rating Summary
Rates
Ages 7 to 9
Ages 10 to 12
Ages 13 to 15

Interior
Cabin 4A 9320
9320 is an interior room for 2. It was small (144 sq. ft. including the shower and closets), with no sitting area other than at a small desk. Since it was right below the Lido deck, which had the main pools and outdoor public areas and the buffet cafeterias, it was at the same time convenient, but noisy at night if there was an activity like Dance night being staged. That night the room was noisy till 1130 pm, sounding like the Dance of the Elephants was taking place over our heads.
Riviera Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins

• Belize City
    Did not enjoy this. We had to tender in, and that is never fun. The city itself is dreary. The excursion we took was a cave exploration and zip-line tour, and that was fine, but for the 3 hours riding the bus to and fro.
    View All 2,217 Belize City Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Belize City Cruise Port Review
  • Jeep Tour
    The port itself was OK, but to be honest, every Eastern Mexican port I have stopped at has rough water, and is sun-baked, dusty and dry. The beaches are often rocky, and there were shark warnings out when we visited. The Rhino adventure had beach and ATV parts; the ATV part was good, the beach part was ... eh. They did have a nice shaded beverage and refreshment area, and the guides were quite pleasant.
    View All 16 Jeep Tour Reviews
  • Snorkeling
    This was a Fury snorkeling and Beach excursion. The crew was very good, the water was warm, the beverages were abundant, and the private beach was fun.
    View All 312 Snorkeling Reviews
  • Roatan
    This is a lovely island. The harbor was picturesque, and the shops in the port were interesting and fun. We went to a Maya Beach private beach excursion, and it offered snorkeling, a nice beach, dining, a pool, and wildlife exhibits. It was really fun. This was the best stop on the cruise.
    View All 2,529 Roatan Cruise Port Reviews