Voyager of the Seas Cruise Review

Voyager of the Seas Cruise Review by jmmlk

• Sail Date: Feb 2012
  • Destination: the Western Mediterranean
  • Cabin Type: Junior Suite

My wife and I have been on six cruises on four cruise lines. RCL; Holland America; Carnival and Celebrity. On this cruise we left from New Orleans. We had not cruised from there since before Katrina and were impressed with the port. There are several hotels from which you can easily walk to the port with your luggage (if there is one suitcase and one carry on each). We stayed at the Drury Inn for two nights prior to the cruise and one night after. We enjoyed the hotel. There is a good breakfast each morning - I like the biscuits and gravy with sausage patties. There is also an evening meal - hot-dogs the night we tried it. The evening meal, while great for families who want to save some money, is poor fare compared to the many great restaurants within walking distance.

The day of departure we did take a taxi to the port ($7.00 each) because of weather conditions. Our cruise did not start boarding until 1:00p because it need to be sanitized due to a gastrointestinal problem on the cruise prior to ours. This meant everyone wanted to get on at the same time which resulted in long lines, about 1 1/2 hours for us. This though is unusual and while inconvenient was understandable.

We were in a junior suite, which isn't really a suite at all in the conventional sense. It was a very spacious room with a walk in closet and a nice balcony. The balcony was shielded from the wind for the most part while underway which was very nice. It also seemed more private than some we have seen. Our steward provided us with excellent service, always straightening the room in the short time we went to breakfast. I highly recommend this stateroom if cruising on this ship.

This ship itself is larger than we are used to. Meals were not of the same quality we have had on all other cruises. This is not to say they weren't good they were, just not as good as usual. Smaller portions and fewer choices.Of course you can always ask for more.

Entertainment in the evenings was great. Comedians, jugglers (better than it sounds), a great ice show, and of course the singers and dancers. I highly recommend the ice show, I enjoyed it very much. I had only gone because my wife wanted me to, I would have skipped it and am glad I did not.

Shore excursions were the standard stuff. I would just as soon wander at any of these ports. Jamaica is pretty but very "touristy" and the cities are dirty, crowded and mostly uninteresting. We went fishing in Cozumel which was fun but then I always have fun fishing no matter where we are. The Caymans are great. If I was to spend a week in one place in this part of the world it would be the Caymans. We did the dolphin encounter and turtle farm. The encounter was a lot of fun, glad we did it but wouldn't spend the money for it again. The turtle farm was interesting at best - overpriced if paid for on it's own.

There was one thing on the Voyager we were very disappointed in. The best seats for shows and a separate, very nice looking, dinning room at the buffet are reserved for high rollers. Always before on a cruise we had felt first class and noticed no difference in the treatment of inside cabin users and luxury suite users. We are not naive, there is a difference, but it has never been obvious. On this ship there is first class and then the rest of us.

We opted for carrying our own luggage off the ship. We were told we would be getting off between 715 and 8 in the morning. We started getting off, per the announcement, at 715 and had walked the mile back to the Drury Inn by 8. Just as promised, how often does that happen? The Drury let us book in at 8 in the morning when we arrived even though check in was 3p. I thought we would just drop off our bags and wander the city until 3, it was a nice surprise.

All in all we will avoid the Voyager on our next cruise. We will opt for a smaller ship weather RCL or another line. Perhaps the decrease in food options and quality is the new industry standard but we are hoping it was because of the much higher number of passengers on board. We are also hoping on a smaller ship there is no obvious distinction between first class and the rest of us.

jmmlk's Full Rating Summary

Junior Suite
Cabin JS 9314

Very roomy with nice walk in closet. Balcony was good sized, private and shielded (mostly) from the wind while underway.

jmmlk