3. Serenade of the Seas
We arrived in San Juan 3 days early and rented a car from Charlie Car for $75.00 for the 3 days. They do not rent junk cars they all looked new. When we returned the car we returned it to the lot that gave a complimentary ride to the cruise terminal, which we only waited 5 mins for the van to take us there and it was only a 10 min. ride to the port. We stayed at the Embassy Suites Del Mar Dorado. What a beautiful hotel and it was only 30 minutes west of San Juan. It has it's own little beach with drink and food service from the pool bar. The rooms are big but I do suggest you request a pool or ocean view. When we arrived we were given a room with a view of a rusty roof and a empty building that was being worked on. When I requested another room the staff was very accommodating and gave a a room facing the pool and ocean. We are definitely going to stay here again if we ever get back here. The staff were all very nice and friendly. Free full breakfast was ok, we ate around 7:00 and the food was cold but you can order made-to-order omelets. There is a casino next to the property. Parking is $10.00 a day in the garage and don't forget the resort fee of $15.00 a day.But all this is worth it! One day we drove to the town of Catano and took the ferry over to Old San Juan for $1.00 RT per person. I would not recommend trying to find a parking spot in old San Juan. I have found that everyone we have come in contact with in PR were very friendly and we never felt threatened in any way when walking around. We highly recommend eating at Senor Frogs. The food is very good and a fun atmosphere.Embarkation was fast and easy. You hand your luggage to the luggage crew when you get to the terminal and then move to the next area where you wait to get into the terminal. They check ID's and Cruise Docs at the door before you enter the terminal. You go through Security then to the check-in line. Remember to check-in online at home and print your sea pass before leaving home as this makes check-in faster.You will be asked for your docs. and credit card, you are given your sea pass and then go up stairs and get your picture taken. Now you are ready to board :). Serenade of the Seas is a beautiful ship and very easy to navigate.Our stateroom was on the 9th deck and on the hump. I felt the room was big with plenty of storage space and the balcony was a good size. However, the bathroom is very small and the shower tight. We went to the Windjammer Cafe for lunch. The food is plentiful and good. There is an outside eating area which we ate at almost ever meal. We ate dinner in the main dining room 4 nights and our table mates were wonderful people. Food was good. Service the first night was very slow and it was hard to believe they do this every day. Everyone had to skip desert in order to make it to our muster stations for the drill. We ate at Chops Grill one night and wow! The food and service was amazing. The side dishes they give you are enough for 2 people, even the baked potato is enough for 2 people. Overall we had a wonderful cruise experience on the Serenade of the Seas. There were always fun activities going on. I don't think the Cruise Director ever slept!

Great cruise on Serenade of the Seas

cruisinggaga’s Full Rating Summary
Rates

Superior Ocean View Stateroom with Balcony
Cabin D1 9586
Cabin in the middle of the hump (9586). Great location, quiet, great views. Room was very spacious, balcony was big. Alot of storage space, downfall, the bathroom was small and shower was tight.
Deck 10 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Antigua
    Did not take a tour here but I do recommend taking one. Just got off the ship and walked around town. Was ok but would do a tour next time!
    View All 1,278 Antigua Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Antigua Cruise Port Review
  • Grenada
    We took the water taxi which is located just off the ship($8.00 RT pp) over to Grand Anes beach and spent a couple hours there before heading back to the ship for lunch. After that we walked around town. This was my least favorite port. The beach made it nice.
    View All 556 Grenada Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Grenada Cruise Port Review
  • St. Croix
    We got off the ship with a plan to walk around but instead took a taxi over to Christiansted which is offered as you get to the entrance of the port for $16.00 RT pp. It was about a 25 min ride. We walked around for about an hour and a half then took the van back to the ship, they do wait till the taxi is filled before taking you back. After lunch we walked to the beach which is right next to the port. Nice beach but you need water shoes if you go into the water as it is pretty rocky. Also when you go into the water and have kids it does drop off quick as you enter, goes from about 5 inches down to about 1 to 1 1/2 feet deep. Great swimming and it is a very pretty beach. After the beach my husband went back to the ship and I stayed and shopped at the outside market at the port entrance. All in all this was a great day and port.
    View All 363 St. Croix Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's St. Croix Cruise Port Review
  • St. Lucia
    WOW! This was my favorite port. We took and amazing tour which we booked ourselves through Cosol Tours. They were Fun and very informative. $65.00 pp and so worth it. We got free drinks all day, choices were, local beer, rum punch, coke or water and you could have as much as you wanted. We tasted local food for breakfast and the sights were amazing. Quick lunch. Plenty of 5/10 min stops for pictures and local gifts. My husband bought a beautiful handmade bird feeder for only $7.00 Cosol got us back to the ship on time and I was able to do some quick shopping at the port shops. In the beginning he promised us a great time and it was. The tour they took us on for $65.00 was offered by Royal Caribbean as 2 different tours at the same price but you didn't see as much and there was no food or drink.
    Cosol tours is highly recommended!!!!
    View All 1,195 St. Lucia Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's St. Lucia Cruise Port Review
  • St. Thomas
    This was our 2nd time to St. Thomas and I still love this port. This time we took a taxi downtown for shopping. ALOT of shopping!! Finally bought my blue diamond at a great place called Imperial Jewelers, great people and they come highly recommended. Went back to port after 3 hours of walking around and shopping. Then I did more shopping at Havensight mall just outside the gates at the port while my husband went back to the ship. Wonderful day!!
    View All 4,103 St. Thomas Cruise Port Reviews