3. Oosterdam
My wife and I sailed on the Oosterdam on March 4th, 2005. We opted for this cruise only because we wanted to try something different than the Caribbean. This was our 14th cruise and 12 of them have been in the Caribbean. The other was last summer on the Maasdam to Canada-New England. This was our 5th HAL cruise and they've all been very good. This was the first time we upgraded to an SS room. We loved the room, especially the extra space. Also neat to have both a separate shower and bathtub and the two sinks made getting ready for dinner very easy. The friends we travelled with noted that there was a Holiday Inn right across the street from the pier so we booked there. The hotel is very good and reasonable. On embarkation day we were able to walk across the street to the ship which made the whole experience incredibly easy. As usual getting on board was pretty simple. We were on the ship by noon and attacking our first of many meals shortly thereafter. We did try to get into our room, but they closed all of the doors to the rooms so you couldn't get into the area. However by 1:30 the rooms were ready and so were we. The first night at sea proved to be rather exciting. We were only about five hours out when one of the passengers aboard got very sick. So much so they couldn't provide the necessary medical attention and so the ship turned around and headed back toward San Diego, although at a very slow pace. This was to help Air Ambulance come out to get the passenger. The helicopter hovered above the ship as the patient and subsequently their loved ones got into a helicopter for much needed medical attention back in San Diego. We were never told how the patient fared, but it made for an interesting view to see the chopper hovering above the ship. I've been told on earlier cruises that they actually have a morgue on all the ships. Our first full day was a day at sea and it was nice to have this day to get one's sea legs. Our first stop was in Cabo. Here we booked a trip with one of the local boats for a trip to the amazing rock formations. Should note we never (rarely) book trips via the cruise ships because they tend to be very expensive and you can get your own cruise on shore much cheaper and often times get much better service. We went into town as well. Not much to see here, although we stopped at a bar called Cabo Wabo which is owned by the lead singer of Van Halen. Next day it was off to Mazatlan. This was the only stop where we docked, the other two stops required us to hop on a tender. Here we again hired a local guide and for a price of 20 dollars a head (five in our party) we had the driver to ourselves all day. He took us around town which was fun. Not much to see here, but it was still a very nice day. Our final stop was in Puerto Vallarta. Again we hired a driver who took us around to all of the neat parts of town. There's a large development called El Cid where you can find some very expensive homes. We walked into one under construction that the builder told us was worth around 10 million dollars. The workmanship was something to behold. It seems in Mexico they build everything with cement, in one case even the entire bed, save the mattress. In PV we also toured the town, went past the home Richard Burton bought Liz Taylor. Of the three stops on this trip, this was the most scenic. Having toured the Caribbean I'd say that the Caribbean has more going for it than the Mexican side. The water was quite cool and you never saw anyone in the ocean. The last two days of this cruise are on board the ship. It is a beautiful ship and the service is outstanding. Our waiter was pretty quiet. Some say that the service is not as good as it used to be when you actually tipped the waiters. They now have this policy of adding 10 dollars per day per person to your bill. So there's a feeling that the waiters etc., don't have to impress you as much anymore. This might be true in some cases, but our guys were pretty good. The couple we cruised with hadn't cruised since the early '70s when they were on the Mardi Gras. They were impressed with both the ship and the staff. We went to the Pinnacle Grill one night and as usual the food was amazing. Although the crab cakes were the size of a quarter and there were only two of them. But I guess the massive porterhouse steak made up for it. For the first time on this ship I had a facial. Now I'm a man and they tell me that about 20 percent of the clients getting facials these days are men. It was nice and relaxing and made me look about 20 years younger -- yeah right! The entertainment did leave something to be desired. I've seen better high school productions. They did have one good act there, a singer by the name of Bobby Bland (sp?). He had great range. Too bad they kept him till the last night. He had some cute lines as well such as, "How many people like Country Music" (applause) "OK today's country is Italy." Then he said, "In '93 and '94 I wrote some number one songs for Garth Brooks and one day when I get up the nerve, I'll send them to him." He's one guy worth seeing. The only downside to taking a cruise out of San Diego is getting there. We live in Ontario Canada and flights are not that easy to come by. So we got off the ship around 9:30 on Saturday and after a long delay in Las Vegas finally got home around 9:30 Sunday morning. Another reason we prefer the Caribbean. Overall though it was a great cruise, great people. Oh and did I tell you that three weeks prior to our cruise, the dock staff in in San Diego did something that has never happened in HAL's 143-year history ... they accidentally dumped a bin with luggage into the San Diego harbour. I understand that divers had to be called in to retrieve it. Many of the customers never got their clothes back, washed and pressed until a day before the end of their cruise. Glad it didn't happen on our cruise. If you're thinking of cruising, this ship deserves consideration.

Oosterdam - Mexican Riviera

Oosterdam Cruise Review by dutchie

• Sail Date: March 2005
  • Destination: Mexican Riviera
  • Cabin Type: Signature Superior Verandah Suite
Overall though it was a great cruise, great people.
If you're thinking of cruising, this ship deserves consideration.
dutchie’s Full Rating Summary