3. Celebrity Solstice
Let me start off by saying a little something about myself. I'm a solo traveler. This was my very first cruise with Celebrity, since I am a Platinum member with Royal Caribbean, Celebrity recognizes me as a Select member so I got to enjoy all the perks that the Captains Club had to offer Select Members. I have been on quit of few cruises before. Carnival, NCL and Royal Caribbean and now I can add Celebrity to the list. I'm 29 years old about to be 30. I will say that this was the best cruise I have ever been on. There were some good and some bad but I always tend to find some good in the bad. A bit of warning for the young cruisers, this ship is predominantly 60 and over. It didn't bother me any, actually I prefer an older crowd. I live in Aventura, FL which is about a 15 min drive from Port Everglades, so getting to the port was a breeze for me. Embarkation: Security took a little bit long, not dreadfully long but once we got past security it was about 5 mins for check-in and got on the ship right away. They had said that the rooms would be ready at 2:30pm so I went up to my Deck on 11 and I saw some people going in through the hallway to the cabins so I followed them and stop by my room and dropped off my luggage and came back out. The Stateroom: I booked an Aqua Class room which in my opinion is well worth the money. The room was lovely, great location near the Aqua Spa. They bring you a pitcher of tea. Everyday a different flavor, and they'll re-fill as much as you want. They put bottled water in the rooms, some toiletries that were very nice. They also put a set of Binoculars, an over sized umbrella, and a very nice bath robe in your room for you to use during your cruise and if you wanted to keep any of these items you can purchase then through your CS. The room itself was very nice and nice size. Lots of storage area. Public Areas: My favorite part of the ship was the Lawn club. The funny thing is they have a lawn mower on board. The theatre is a nice size very basic, nicely decorated. Other venues include Celebrity central which is the small the theatre they use for Comedy shows, entertainment court, very nice casino, lots of shops on the boulevard. Dining venues were plentiful. All the specialty restaurants were all in one location. Didn't spent too much time by the pool but it was a very nice pool area as is the Solarium. Entertainment: Here's where the cruise lacked. Some of the production shows were not all that great. The signature show "Solstice" which is a French circus (cirque du soleil style) the stunts were excellent. Some of the stunts were hard to do on a cruise ship rocking back and forth so I'll give the crew credit on this, the acrobats were very impressive however the singers were not. They always sang off key and they sang like they didn't want to be there. I even met one of the singers during a back stage tour later in the cruise and just by the way he spoke and his attitude it seemed like he didn't want to be there. Maybe it's time for Celebrity to consider using another production company. The best entertainment on the ship in my opinion was the Hot glass Show. I was a Glass Blowing groupie. Went to all the Shows. At first it was just Zack and Lori and then when we met with the Equinox in Cozumel, Helen came on and three were just superb. Very entertaining and instructive. The three seemed to work very well together, knew exactly what the other was doing and able to narrate and explain perfectly. Hot glass show gets a 12 out of 10. Sucks that the newer ships don't have this show anymore. I got to meet the glass blowers on the last day, super nice people I got to talk to them for a while and they told me how they started out in glass blowing and they even showed me some pictures of some of there works. Also, on the very last show the captain comes out and does something I would never expect a cruise captain to do. I wont say what it is cause I don't want to ruin the surprise for people about to go on the Solstice but Captian Gerry was the best. I also, did a tour of the bridge one afternoon and Captain Gerry was a very good host. We got to sit in on the officers meeting before we left Roatan and we got to watch the First Officer pull the ship of port. The Captain and his crew were very information and accommodating to our group. The tour is $75 but it's really a once in a lifetime experience not allot of cruise ships/lines offer this tour. If they offer it on your cruise do it. Dining: I did not have a single bad meal on this ship and I am a very picky eater. Didn't eat at the dining room at all since I was in Aqua Class I had access to eat a Blu breakfast and dinner. Ate at Silk Harvest twice, Blu twice, and once at Murano and Tuscan Grill and one night I ordered room service which was excellent. Murano and Tuscan girill were very good, however I believe those two restaurants are a bit over priced. $40 for Murano and $35 for Tuscan Grill I believe. Both very good restaurants just not worth the price in my opinion but if you're willing to spend the money give it a try it is very good. At Murano get the Goat Cheese Soufflé it is to die for. Ports / Shore Excursions: (Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Roatan and Costa Maya) This was my first time in Roatan and Costa Maya Grand Cayman -- I love grand Cayman however tendering is such a pain. Lots of waiting around to get off and on the ship. I did the Turtle Farm tour which was excellent. You get plenty of time to interact with the sea turtles. There's a lagoon that you can swim and snorkel in. Cozueml -- Did the Cozumel Island tour. First stop was to a tequila farm where you get to sample all different flavors of tequila and then naturally they hound you to buy something. Then to El Mirado which is beautiful then we stop in this town which I cannot remember the name which was a complete waste of time. Then the final stop was to Playa Mia which was another waste of time, nothing special there. Just a crowded beach and pool. Roatan- this by far was my favorite port to visit. We were the only ship out of 4 there were able to dock due to rough seas and high winds.. I did the Gumbalimba Park excursion which was excellent. Bit of warning, don't bring expensive sunglasses with you. The monkeys will take them. Lol. Lots of fun that day. Costa Maya -- I had a town tour scheduled this day but got cancelled the night before so I ended up just walking around town and having lunch at Carlos n Charlie right there in town. If you love to shop this is the town for you. As I said before this was probably the best cruise I've ever been on. Is there room for improvement? Always. Especially in the entertainment department. The crew was excellent everyone was very polite and helpful. The restaurant staff all knew me by name which is a big plus. I would definitely do this ship again and all the other Solstice ships. Celebrity Cruise Lines is now my favorite cruise line. Cheers !

I

Celebrity Solstice Cruise Review by CRUISEBOY305

Embarkation:

The Stateroom:

Public Areas:

Entertainment:

Dining:

Ports / Shore Excursions:
(Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Roatan and Costa Maya)
This was my first time in Roatan and Costa Maya