Voyager of the Seas Cruise Review

Voyager of the Seas Cruise Review by zdmo29

• Sail Date: Jan 2012
  • Destination: the Western Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Family Oceanview Stateroom

I want to preface this review by letting readers know that I typically avoid older ships so I'm probably a little biased. We took this cruise due to the location of the port as we were traveling with my grandmother and wanted to avoid flying. So, let me start by saying that this was my 12th cruise and I am by no means some massive party animal that wants to party like a rock star every night..but I'm also not 100 years old! My grandmother is 93 and she even recognized that this ship is boring. And, that is the problem with this ship..EVERYTHING is geared towards senior citizens. The entertainment is so dated that those under 40 probably won't even know get the references. The ice show is entertaining, but everything else was horrible. The only exception is the pub entertainment in the evenings and it was a life saver. As for other music..if you enjoy strings and sleepy tunes at every turn, then this is for you. The 50's sock hop was the most lively show they had..again targeting a senior citizen crowd. I actually felt sorry for anyone under 30 on that ship. As for the daily "activites" on board..how many scrapbooking classes do they really need to have? It was either those types of classes or sales presentations from the spa. The casino is, BY FAR, the worst I have ever experienced on a ship. Again, old, dated, and the tightest slots you can imagine..don't waste your money. Also, a religious group was onboard that took it upon themselves to gather at the stairs at the entrance to the casino and sing gospel music. One other point on the entertainment on the ship. The Titanic references were completely over the top and quite frankly, offensive. I really didn't want to hear a shrill violin renditions of Titanic music piped in over my head at dinner. All of the diners at my table commented on the horrible dinner music. Apparently, some of the shows even featured pictures and made references to Titanic. And, just to top it off, you cuold have your professional photos taken in front of scenes from the movie. DISTURBING!!!! OK..that covers my gripes about the entertainment/activities. The passable was the spa/fitness center. Fairly well equipped, steam and sauna rooms, large whirlpool, etc...The treatments were comparable in price/quality to some other ships I've been on. Pool area was o.k. Of course, we cruised in January so there were few kids on board. The adult pool area is nice with alot of comfortable chairs.

The food on board was average. Portofino is the specialty Italian restaurant..very good. Our waiters were very good. Dinner averaged about 1 1/2 hours which, again, is about average. Buffet was average. Johnny Rockets is great! Worth the $4.95 surcharge. We didn't order room service so I can't comment on that. However, if you need your fridge restocked, start letting them know immediately. It took two days and four phone calls for me to get more beverages in our fridge. The coffee is HORRIBLE. Very bitter..

Shopping is o.k. typical ship merchandise. Although there is very little in the way of gifts for children. Wait until the last day to buy shirts. They put out a table with a ton of stuff marked 75% off.

Now, the cabin. We were in a family ocean view..9500..right on the front of the ship on deck 9. The cabin is spacious with alot of storage space. Bring an extension cord if you want more than two plug in's. The beds were the problem. I have NEVER slept on more uncomfortable beds in my life. They literally felt like a piece of wood with a fabric covering them. Pillows were either flat or hard as a brick. Of course, they were "out" of eggcrates by the time I figured out horrible the bed was. So, I went out to the pool deck and borrowed one of the pads off the deck chair. Yes, that was actually more comfortable. Everyone in my group woke up aching and with numb hands. We heard MANY passengers complaining about the beds. Also, what other writers have said about this cabin is true..about mid week it is filled with a horrible odor of musty smoke/or something. I don't really want to know what it was. It happened in the late afternoon and it took a couple of hours for it to clear. Lastly, if you are prone to motion sickness, this cabin is not for you. You're high and all the way forward, so if there are any rough seas, you will definitely feel it more in this cabin.

Overall, the ship is clean, but it is clearly in need of an update. The carpet is worn and it just looks old. I would not cruise on this ship ever again.

zdmo29's Full Rating Summary

Family Oceanview Stateroom
Cabin FO 9500

Cabin 9500 is a ocean view, family stateroom. It is all the way forward and has two large round windows that offer a nice view while sailing. The cabin is spacious with alot of storage and good closet space. Bring an extension cord if you need more than two outlets. There is no outlet in the bathroom. The beds in this cabin are horrendous. By far, they are the most uncomfortable beds I have EVER slept on. The literally feel like a piece of concrete with a fabric cover. Our entire group woke daily aching and numb. Pillows are either flat or hard as a rock. Whoever approved this bedding should be fired. Eggcrates were far and few between and my steward couldn't find one until day 3. The bathroom is small, as usual on a ship, but adequate. Also, beware that about mid week this cabin will fill with a foul smell that will last about 2 hours. From reading the boards, it sounds like some problem with the ventilation system. It is pretty bad. The tv is advertised as a flat screen, but it's an old, very small, poor quality tv. The pay per movies are old and the newer 3 will be shown over and over again for free. The fridge is small and it took two days and four phone calls before they finally restocked it.

Cozumel

As we have been to this port several times, we didn't do anything other than shop at the pier shops to pick up vanilla..make sure it's the pure vanilla.

Falmouth

We visited Dolphin Cove/Dunns River Falls. It was wonderful. At Dolphin Cove, they even put a chair in the water so my 93 year old grandmother could interact with the dolphins..it was really fun. We also climed the falls and that was fun as well. Shopping at the port was fast and furious. Make sure you bargain..don't pay full price!! They willt tell you that they're doing you a special favor in order to get a tip, but it's still worth it. It knocked about 25% off my total.

Sailed to two snorkeling sites. The first was a fairly new wreck and the second a reef just off shore. Both were fine. The reef was great..tons of beautiful fish. The crew on the catamaran was ok, not the best though. They didn't interact with guests very much. But, a good experience overall.

View All undefined undefined Reviews