• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

Mellow_yellow
2-5 Cruises • Age 70s

Sail Date: Apr 2011
Cabin: Balcony

Firstly I thought I had submitted my review but on reflection I forgot as we were away for so long it just slipped my mind.

But nevertheless here goes.

We arrived in Honolulu from Australia (there was a large contingent of Aussies on this cruise due to the packaging of Fire and Ice cruise land deal). After 10 hour flight we were tired and the wait in the hot sun was tiring and the usual check in etc was not as bad as we have previously experienced with Princess. So overall we were jolly by the time we climbed onboard and found our rooms.

Balcony

Cabin 8A

The cabins were excellent. Liked the layout with the table .. deck chairs outside were also good. But the little table could have been a bit bigger it only held 2 glasses and was very low. My back told me so many times.

Plenty of space for hanging clothes and cupboard space for other bits and pieces. Overall excellent use of space. Beds were nice and big.

Port Reviews

Honolulu

We took the local bus service just outside the dock for $1 to Diamond Head and did some walking - climbing to the top for spectular views. Bus back (again $1 - seniors rate $2.50 for adult). Best way to see the island.

Kauai

We hired a car here - great drive up the coast - waterfalls etc. Hire car easily accessible.

Hilo

We hired a car here again .. it was good but we were disappointed with the volcanoes. All we could see was some distant steam rising. But we did a drive north of Hilo later and it was an off beat tourist stretch and it was fabulous. Terrific waterfalls, tropical walks .. not to many people either.

Kona (Kailua Bay)

Kona was a tender port .. nothing to do at Kona but Walmart (free bus) and look around town and shop. Internet cafe was poor .. did not open until 11am and then needed proding. This was the first place we found internet service. Next time I take WiFi.

Maui

We took 2 one day tours from a fellow just outside the gate .. and they were exceptional. http://www.hawaiian-eyes.com/ if you want a traditional tour and half the cost and smaller buses ... a personal touch ... this is the tour for you. We had a great time singing and getting the islander view of things. Get Ricky to sing as well .. he is GOOD.

Vancouver