3. Zuiderdam
This was my 5th cruise with Holland America and the most disappointing experience ever. Embarkation was very efficient but when we arrived to the stateroom, there was a large fan being used to dry the carpet. I later received a call explaining there had been an air conditioning leak in the ceiling. I was promised the fan would be removed during dinner. Shortly thereafter, the "We Are Sorry for the Inconvenience" bottle of wine arrived (I don't drink). I tripped over this large fan while trying to unpack and it was so loud we could not stay in the room. We went to dinner and did not return until 10:15 PM. The cabin steward had serviced the room but the fan was still blowing. I called the front desk for assistance and it took them an additional 30 minutes to come to the room. The attendant seemed puzzled and confused as to what to do with the fan. Additionally, the carpet was still wet. Overall, the cabin showed many signs of aging. The carpet was stained; deck chairs on the verandah were worn and the furniture in the room was in poor condition. We bought the Thermal Spa package only to learn that part of the equipment in the thermal pool was out of order. This information was carefully omitted during the sales pitch. The equipment was out of order for the duration of the cruise. Additionally, there were no less than three pieces of equipment that were out of order in the gym. Deck chairs were in short supply as the ship was over normal capacity. I have never experienced this on any of the other HAL ships. Food service was hit and miss in the main dining room. The service lacked attention to detail. On the first day of the cruise at the Mariner Welcome Aboard luncheon, my food was brought in reverse order. Other guests at the table had to remind the server about their food. Even though we had the late seating, I had to beg for iced tea at every meal. Entertainment was typical and not exciting or innovative. This ship needs a major refurbishment as there are signs of aging throughout the ship. It is one step up from a rust bucket.This cruising experience tarnished my believe about Holland America being a premium class cruise line and I am hesitant to recommend them or plan future cruises with Holland America.

The Zuiderdam Needs a Makeover

Zuiderdam Cruise Review by SeriousBiz

• Sail Date: December 2011
  • Destination: Southern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Ocean-View Verandah Stateroom
Entertainment was typical and not exciting or innovative.
SeriousBiz’s Full Rating Summary