3. Oosterdam
This was our second time cruising with HAL. Our first time was 1998 Hawaii and back, and was the standard by which we judged all other cruises since; the service was great. Wanted to try HAL again now that we are older and making more money and see if it was worth building loyalty points. Also our 20th anniversary. The suite service and concierge level was the only thing that saved the cruise, and that we were willing to pay extra for the fine dining. The restaurant staff and service was what we had in the dining room those many years ago, it was great! And the food was several times better than Princess' Sabatino's. As another cruiser said, the dining room was abysmal. No smiles, no wine list, I was told I could only get the house wine. The Lido food was merely OK and the servers there were harried and showed it. I was expecting greater things from the hype about their Chef-retooled cuisine, it should have gone to all levels of dining. Room service took hours and the sandwich I ordered off the room service menu was great and perfect the first time and the second made completely wrong. We could have waited another couple of hours for them to make it right, I guess. The room was great, very spacious. The bed was wonderful and we have ordered one from HAL, they sell them. The concierge service was great. We went prepared to spend most of our $ on liquor and tips, which we did. Also, even though the SA is a suite, the embarkation people made me get in the regular line, saying it was Superior only. After winding through the line to where I could reach the expediter, she said the same thing the looked at the room number and expedited us. HAL did not win our loyalty.

Not up to par

Oosterdam Cruise Review by Psalmbard

• Sail Date: November 2011
  • Destination: Mexican Riviera
  • Cabin Type: Neptune Deluxe Verandah Suite
HAL did not win our loyalty.
Psalmbard’s Full Rating Summary
Rates

Neptune Deluxe Verandah Suite
Cabin SA
SA suite on Deck 7 aft, starboard. Great closet space, 2 each. Chairs and couch are more for looks than comfort, had to use pillows because we are not 6 feet tall. Chairs and table and chairs and footstools on the balcony, we would rather have had loungers. Furniture is showing its age with many stains (not bed). Bed fantastic, also extra storage there. Tub and Extra shower very nice.
Rotterdam Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins