• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

First Time Cruiser • Age 50s

Sail Date: Nov 2011
Cabin: Oceanview

Background

This was my first cruise. I have friends who enjoy cruises and its something that I have wanted to do for a while. I had some annual leave I needed to use up before the end of the year, so was looking for a last minute holiday to book. I had a look on the Cruisecritic website looking a cheap last minute cruise and saw the Mediterranean Spirit cruise offered via IdealCruising; however googling around a bit I found the same cruise available on cruisedeals.co.uk for more than £100 cheaper. I suggested the idea to a friend of mine who was also looking for a cheap winter holiday and he was up for it, so I phoned CruiseDeals and spoke to their agent Lorraine who was very helpful and arranged the cruise for us. The total price was as advertised. This was £519 per person including flights. This was for an Oceanview stateroom. A real bargain, especially as the flights were with BA.

The itinerary was a seven day circle of the Western Med on board the Costa Concordia, beginning and ending in Savona:

Oceanview

Cabin E2

Very clean; comfortable beds; loads of storage. Bigger than I expected.

Slight vibration from engine, but didn't bother me.

Port Reviews

Barcelona

Great city, but a few hours not enough time to do it justice.

Palma de Mallorca (Majorca)

Beautiful city. Lots of nice tapas restaurants.

Visit the cathedral - it is stunning and only €4 to get in.

Malta (Valletta)

Amazing fortified city. Make sure you are on deck when you sale in to port

A great mixture of mediterranean and British influence - Red post and phone boxes everywhere.

Everyone speaks English (as well as Maltese) and signs are all in English.

People very friendly.

Palermo (Sicily)

Interesting - visit the street market.

A bit grubby and run down in places though.

Rome (Civitavecchia)

Amazing city - stunning architecture everywhere.

Just too big to do in one day.

We went to the top of the dome of St Peter's for amazing views and saw the pope speak in the square.

The Pantheon is fascinating and free.

The Coliseum is well worth visiting but quite a trek from the Vatican

2 Helpful Votes