• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

2-5 Cruises

Sail Date: Nov 2011
Cabin:
Traveled with children

Over all, we had a great time. And my kids especially enjoyed it; they have fantastic kids' programs for all ages (both oldest son and youngest son ended up with the 11-13 year olds all week).

So bottom line, if you have children or grand children, this is a fantastic cruise! Lots and lots of activities for the kids, lots of family type events, etc. They do have adult only sections so once you drop the kids off at their activity (youngest son and oldest son came and went on their own since it was the 11-13 year olds), then you can find some quiet areas. Also, after 9:00 p.m., a lot of the lounges that were open for kids were now off limits. Not an issue normally but we really wanted to do some family game nights and we never found a place to do that after 9:00 p.m. That was kind of a bummer for us.

The food was just OK. Some dishes that were supposed to be hot were cold, others had little flavor while other dishes were fabulous! I guess we were spoiled by the Regent Seven Seas Mariner but now that I look at their current prices, I really cannot compare them to Disney. It's like comparing a Four Seasons hotel to a Best Western or Holiday Inn Express (we love BW and HI). Apples and oranges. But for the value, it was excellent. We spent about $1200 per person and we had 2 seperate staterooms. The same 2 staterooms on the Regent Mariner would be a lot more! Also, you do have to tip and pay for all alcoholic drinks on the Disney Cruise. On the Mariner, it's ALL included. On the Disney Cruise, we had to pay for just about everything including internet. It does add up but not what we would pay on the Mariner! (We paid an additional $1500 for shore excursion, internet access, surcharge for the adult only restaurant, alcohol, club sodas, lava flows for the kids and laundry).

Cabin 9A

Plenty of room for two people. Liked the seperate shower/tub and toilet areas (with 2 sinks). Great location to The Edge and dining and lounges on the 3rd deck. Easy access to elevators. Easy access to laundry on the 2nd deck. Hallway was noisy but because of the children running up and down. Some noise from the engine room.

Port Reviews

Puerto Vallarta

On shore excursions, we decided NOT to do any of the Dolphin experiences since I don't agree with the whole concept. I guess I prefer to see them in the wild. We also decided against ziplining because we can do this in Kauai and have done so 3 times now. Also, we were limited on some of the shore excursions since youngest son is not quite 10 years old.

So in Puerto Vallarta, we went on the Paradise Beach and Resort get away. It was so nice to get off the ship and sit in the sand. Youngest son loved the pool area. All drinks and food were included (including alcoholic drinks). I guess my only disappointment was they did not have enough Mexican food at the lunch buffet. They have a bus that takes you there and back so we felt safe. We have traveled to Mexico quite a lot over the last 30 years but with the current situation, I was more comfortable with an organized tour in PV.

Cabo San Lucas

We did not book anything in Cabo. Instead, we took the tender ashore and walked around the town (we have been here many times before). On the 2nd day, My husband took youngest son para-sailing. They also took a small launch over to the beach with the arch and rocks and explored that area. The para-sailing was $80 for 2. Not the best price I've seen. I think it was a bit cheaper in PV. But youngest son had a total blast. Oldest son was disappointed that he opted to sleep in that morning but we are considering a long weekend trip back to Cabo in the spring. Cabo is another great place for excellent food and lots and lots of silver at great prices! There are tons of restaurants and shops right in the marina area.

Find a Disney Wonder Cruise from $520