3. Carnival Triumph
We drove from San Antonio to Galveston on Friday and spent the night at the Hilton before departing on Saturday. We took advantage of the free parking and the Hilton shuttle to the pier. Embarkation was smooth, and this was our first time in an aft extended balcony stateroom. The balcony was huge and we really liked it, although views are better from balconies on the sides of the ship. With the wedding cake design of the Triumph, we quickly became friendly with all of the other aft balcony cruisers. Entertainment: very good, good singers and dancers, Reagan was a real crowd-pleaser and she sang at the past guest party and the farewell party. Dining: not so good. It was very hit or miss. Room service was a joke, with sandwiches having one thin slice of beef or a small dab of tuna or chicken. We ate dinner in the dining room every evening, and the service was not up to Carnival standards. At least one person in our group of four failed to receive at least one thing that they had ordered at every meal. The absolute worst experience was being given regular cappuccino instead of the decaf that I had ordered. I was awake at 4 a.m. and read the entire book that was supposed to last the whole cruise. Ports: Been there, done that. We were having rain, so we didn't do the Passion Island beach trip we had planned. Debarkation: We arrived about an hour late, but we were still off the ship and on the road by 10:30 a.m. It was handled pretty smoothly, all things considered. Overall Experience: The Triumph is uncomfortable. There was too much furniture for the size of the cabin. The public areas were very crowded and smoky. The venue for trivia and other games was way too small, was in a very high traffic, noisy area, and the smoke from the casino was a constant bother. We normally spend a lot of time in the casino, but if you just walked through your hair smelled like smoke. One night when I returned to the cabin I woke DH up with the smell that I brought in with me. We had something happen twice on this cruise that I've never experienced before. We sailed from Galveston at about 4:45, then at 8:30 we got an announcement that we were turning around to take a sick passenger back to Galveston. We did not go into port, we just waited at what I assume was the international water line and the passenger was picked up there. We made up the time and arrived at the first port on time. Then when we sailed from Cozumel, we had just gotten our first cocktail at the past guest party when we were all told to return to our cabins for a head count. I think that took about an hour to an hour and a half and we were underway again, with the announcement that all passengers and crew were accounted for. Rumor was that a tipsy couple got in a fight and one of them thought the other had jumped or fallen overboard. All in all, the Triumph doesn't compare with our old favorite, the Ecstasy, or her newer cousin the Conquest.

Not So Ecstatic about Triumph

Carnival Triumph Cruise Review by Lady Longhorn

Lady Longhorn’s Full Rating Summary
Rates
Get Carnival Triumph price drops

Great balcony, plenty of room to stretch out and relax. Too much furniture for the size of the cabin. Beds could not really be separated into twins and still have room for one person to get out without exiting from the foot of the bed!
  Carnival Triumph Deck Plans