3. Oosterdam
I can say without hesitation that the service, accommodations and general ambiance of the Oosterdam far exceeded my expectations! We got to the San Diego port area about 12:30 p.m. They immediately took our luggage and it was nice to get it off our hands. Embarkation was a breeze, and within 30 minutes we were in the Lido, their casual restaurant with a wide assortment of all different kinds of foods. The food is REALLY good and you can have as much of it as you can possibly eat. About 1:00 p.m., they announced the cabins were ready. Our luggage was already there, and the cabin (what they call a superior veranda suite) was just wonderful. About 400 square feet including the veranda. Tons of closet space, a dressing area, a large TV and CD player, a desk area with internet connection, king sized bed, 7 foot leather couch, coffee table, chairs, servibar. The bed was extremely comfortable, high thread count sheets. The bathroom was very large with a whirlpool tub and double sinks. The veranda had a table and 4 comfortable lounge chairs. It was perfect and worth every penny! I get up early, but I'm not actually functional for about an hour and a pot of coffee. Room service is included in the price, and we'd order it the night before for 6 a.m. I'd brought instant coffee thinking room service might be unreliable, but every morning at the stroke of 6, there'd be a knock on the door and our breakfast would arrive. It was great! I can't tell you how sweet the Indonesian/Filipino cabin stewards and staff were! I swear, there must be a factory with extremely high quality control where they make these guys because they're all perfect! I kept thinking they'd get tired by the end of the week and service would slip, but it never did. This ship is only a few years old so it's in beautiful shape. Very large, but fewer passengers and more staff than other ships that size. There were 2 swimming pools, one which could be covered in bad weather. Hot tubs, full-service spa with an INCREDIBLE hot tub area, beautiful library, large internet center, tons of beautiful lounges stuck around all over the place. Lots of shops. Really, anything plus more that you'd expect to find in a really fine hotel. All over the boat, in lounges and theatres, there's live entertainment. Live performances every night. Dancing if you're into that. Games and movies and stuff. We did shore excursions at all three ports (Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta). It was fun getting off the boat and having all the arrangements taken care of. We did the early dinner seating and the food was wonderful. There were 2 formal nights, and it was fun dressing up, but we could have gone to the Lido if we hadn't wanted to do that. All in all, it was as perfect an experience as I ever expect to get in this life. I LOVE Holland America!!!!

Oosterdam - Mexican Riviera