• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19
  • News
  • Deals

Costa Concordia Review

Editor Rating

Very good value for money - but you get what you pay for.

Review for Costa Concordia to the Western Mediterranean
EllieGeorge99
2-5 Cruises • Age 60s

Sail Date: Oct 2011
Cabin: Oceanview

This was our 2nd cruise this year - our first was with Princess in the Caribbean, with a balcony - and we wanted something not too expensive, which is exactly what we got.

We originally booked an interior cabin, but having worked out the actual size, decided to upgrade to an outside. We made a good choice, as having seen the size of the interior ones on board, I don't think we'd have been happy. Quite apart from the fact that they're really tiny, there's no natural light, so would have felt extremely claustrophobic. Many people do cruise very happily in interior cabins, but it's not for us - no matter how cheap.

There have been several reviews saying that the food on the Costa ships is mainly frozen - even the salads. Well that's rubbish. Quite apart from the fact that lettuce (and there was a lot of lettuce) doesn't freeze, every salad we had was obviously fresh. However, almost every dish is marked as having one or more ingredient from frozen. This seemed particularly true of the seafood, which my husband said he was quite disappointed in. Overall, the food was of a reasonable/good standard, and in fact some (not all) of the main courses were very good - particularly the beef and the soups. One thing though - at breakfast, the toast is dreadful, and they really should take some lessons on poaching eggs - didn't have a decent one all week. The fresh fruit every morning was lovely, as were the pastries.

Oceanview

Cabin E1

Excellent size cabin - same size as balcony cabins, but without the balcony. Near to the lifts, so got a bit of pinging in the night, but I wear earplugs so didn't hear it once they were in, and my husband can sleep through anything, so didn't bother us. Very central, so easy to reach everything.

Port Reviews

Palermo (Sicily)

Dirty, full of cars being driven like dodgem cars. My uncle's originally from Sicily, and he advised us not to walk out in to Palmero, and certainly not wearing any jewellery, so we took a tour. Not my favourite place at all. One young family did venture out for about 20 minutes, and after nearly being run over three times, came back on board and stayed there.

1 Helpful Vote