• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

Archcreate
First Time Cruiser • Age 60s

Sail Date: Sep 2011
Cabin: Large Ocean View Stateroom

This cruise exceeded our expectations. RCCL treated us fantastic from beginning to end with almost no exceptions

PRE-CRUISE

My sweet wife and I flew in a day early on Saturday after flying from SFO to IAD on a red-eye and then down to San Juan. We stayed at the new St. Regis Bahia Beach was quite a treat. I was able to use my AARP for the first time to get $70 off the room. No age requirement, just be an AARP member. The resort was beautiful, and the rooms were out of this world. The bathroom at the St. Regis was bigger than our stateroom on the Serenade. Amazing pool and iguanas. We picked this resort to relax after coming off three stressful months of work and moving. Great spot to hang out though its way from most things except one of the BioBays and the Rainforest. Meals are great but expensive. Drinks take your breath away at $18-$20. Ouch! We abstained since we were on a budget.

Large Ocean View Stateroom

Cabin I

We were first time cruisers and I wondered how we would do in such a small room. I am a big guy and I wasnt sure quite how I would fit in the bathroom particularly. Turns out it was a problem at all. There was plenty of storage space in the room, more than we needed in fact and the bathroom size was just fine. When the toilets flush there is a high velocity Woosh and one morning the toilet flush was stuck open and wouldnt close. Pretty darn noisy! We called housekeeping, went to breakfast and it was fixed on our return.

We were in an outside stateroom on deck three and it was fine. I think we felt the ship rocking more because we were fairly far forward on the ship. Really wasnt an issue though even with waves a couple of days up to 5 since we were sailing during hurricane season.

Our cabin steward took great care of us and kept the room clean and tidy. Since we had arrived so late the first evening Lockwood didnt have time to make us a towel animal, The next day we mentioned we were looking forward to seeing his creations. Voila! That night there were two towel animals and they were hilarious. Each day after that we had a bat, aardvark, elephant or some other creation and just loved it.

Port Reviews

Barbados

We only left ship for only about 90 minutes. Downtown has shopping, but its not nice at all. We should have stayed onboard. Some of our friends who went out on activities had a great time though.

St. Lucia

We went out on Spencer Ambroses Island and Sea Tour. There were ten of us, mostly Cruise Critic folks. Had a great time. Spencer really gives a great tour. History, food and sightseeing. We had about 90 minutes at Jalousie Beach and a great lunch. You are stuck over in one corner of the beach away from the resort folks, which was a bit weird and felt second class. The boat trip back was fun an informative. We loved this island and are thinking about returning.

Antigua

We had planned on a full island and stingray city tour with Gordon, but couldnt meet the four person minimum even after posting it on Cruise Critic. We joined the folks from CC who were heading out to Valley Church Breach. Ahhh! The water was so beautiful and we rented some chairs under the shade of a palm tree and had a great time for a half day. Gordon has some great songs and is a great tour guide. Our group used him more for transport so we only got a short dose, but you cant go wrong with Gordon. The beaches were off the charts!

Having The shopping and town right at the dock was great.

St. Maarten

Some of our friends convinced my wife that St. Maarten was shopping heaven so thats what we did. It was a very hot day so that took away from our enjoyment even though we started early in the day. Had lunch at a so so Indian restaurant. The food was actually decent, but the smoking area was air conditioned and the non-smoking buried in a dark part of the floor was not. When the smoking got bad we moved and it was awful. The restaurant was on the second floor off Front Street.

St. Croix

As with Barbados we didnt have much in the way of plans for St. Criox. Quiet morning and lunch on the ship (Very Nice) then took the shuttle van to Sandcastle beach. It was a slow time for the resort, but the beach was great. Schools of tropical fish just a few feet into the wtare near the rocks.

We found the folks on the island to be mostly surly. Our friends from Vancouver went on an Island tour and it was so bad they and most of the folks on their bus tried to get their money back. It was that awful!

previous reviewnext review