3. Norwegian Gem
This was our fourth NCL cruise and our experience on the Gem was another great trip. We drove in from Connecticut, parked at the pier and checked in using the Latitudes line in NYC, very easy. Boarded at noon and had lunch at the Grand Pacific dining room. The sail away out of NYC is always enjoyable and it was very good to see the World Trade Center tower going up. The two sail days before arriving in Bermuda were so relaxing. We did "whatever"! They had a murder mystery lunch on Tuesday in Le Bistro by Second City which was great fun. Second City has been all of the NCL cruises and they never disappoint. The three days in Bermuda were great. We had been to Bermuda twice before but only for a single day each time. This time we were able to some old favorites and explore some new things. The first day in Bermuda we had contacted the Restless Native Catamaran cruises before we left and arranged a tour. It was a 3.5 hours tour which included about an hour snorkeling in a private cove with warm cookies and rum swizzles. We had done this previously through NCL and this time we booked directly with them and it was great. Thanks Tanis and Maureen! Our second day in Bermuda we bought the 2 day passes at the Dockyard and took the ferry to St Georges'. Bermuda is very easy to get around and the people are very welcoming. We saw a public dunking at noon which was fun to watch. Explored a bit, and then took the bus and stopped at Swizzle Inn. They aren't kidding when they say swizzle in, stagger out! I'm glad I wasn't driving. On to Hamilton for some more shopping, and then back to rest at the ship. It was very humid but other than that, the weather couldn't have been better. Our last day in Bermuda was spent at Horseshoe Bay Beach. Took the bus and walked down the hill. There was lots of surf and it was much quieter since the other two ships were leaving earlier than the Gem. The two dollar charge to go back up the hill was well worth it! We will definitely be back to Bermuda. The Gem was beautiful, very clean. The staff was SO attentive. I need to specifically mention a few folks. Our room steward, Christina, she greeted us by name every time we saw her. Although we didn't ask for much, she was always accommodating and we always had ice. Sinan, the cruise director was wonderful.. Very approachable. On the first night in the Grand Pacific restaurant, we met Jennifer who became our favorite wait staff person. I had learned from previous cruises that certain desserts are served on certain days,( this has since changed) so I asked when the crème Brule with the chocolate ganache was to be served since I didn't want to miss my favorite dessert! She advised that the Crème Brule was only available in Le Bistro and then she went and got me one. When she delivered it, she said she'd spoken with the chef and he would make me one with the ganache the next night. And so he did (he made me two actually) Yum! Superior service. The rest of the meals, she greeted us by name. Similar service and a divine meal at Le Bistro when I requested Shrimp cocktail and it was only available at Cagney's... they brought us 3. No problem. The maitre d was excellent. I chose a meal with an additional $10 surcharge on top of the $20 surcharge and was so glad I did. The Fruits De Mer with lobster, scallops and shrimp in light cream sauce over a puff pastry was SO good. My husband had the chateaubriand and it was also excellent. We also tried Tequila's which was very good. They had a frozen Margarita special every night and I took advantage of that many nights! Although we don't always attend all of the shows, we did see the comic, Richie Minervini, the hypnotist Brenda Kaye and the second city performers and they were excellent. My husband met up with Richie later in the week and had a good conversation with him. Nice man. We did buy the certificate on board and are discussing where to use it next year! Love Freestyle with NCL.

Wonderful time on the Gem

Norwegian Gem Cruise Review by Marfuz

• Sail Date: September 2011
  • Destination: Bermuda
  • Cabin Type: Mid-Ship Balcony

Sinan, the cruise director was wonderful.. Very approachable.

Marfuz’s Full Rating Summary
Rates
Get Norwegian Gem price drops

Mid-Ship Balcony
Cabin BA 8040
Standard balcony cabin. Once in the bathroom, the opening to the shower and the toilet are very tight. A larger person will have trouble.
Deck 10 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins