3. Norwegian Gem
As a first time cruiser, I was very pleased the officers of the Norwegian Gem and the Norwegian Cruise Line put the safety of the ship, crew and passengers first and foremost (due to potentially bad weather in Bermuda) and chose to go to a safer location. I was also impressed and have absolutely no complaints concerning the crew of the Norwegian Gem. They truly did go the extra mile to make us as comfortable and the trip as enjoyable as possible. When we got to the dock, there was a person handing out what we found out later to be the change in itinerary. However, she was alone, not readily identified as an NCL employee and had a large number of people around her asking questions. Since the crowd was so large, we followed the signs into the dock area along with hundreds of others. While in a very long and slow moving line, our traveling companions asked an NCL employee about a different line for "Latitude" members. The NCL person was rather short and stated something to the effect they should have paid attention when they entered the dock area and they would have to go all the way back to the entrance. We were already well into the check-in line, so they chose to stay. After about 15 minutes, one of our party began to feel bad and her husband asked the NCL employee again if there was any possibility about going to a shorter line. At that point, the NCL person became abusive and insulting. Her absolute arrogance and rudeness was astonishing. Not a good start to something we had been looking forward to for a number of months. NOTE: I filed a compliant with NCL about this and was told the staff in the pier area was not NCL's but worked for the Port of New York and they would past my comments on to the Port of New York. I pointed out the person in question was dressed like a NCL employee, wore a NCL nametag and represented herself as a NCL employee. I suspect my comments will not go any further than the person working their customer service center. NCL could save a lot of money by doing away with this useless function. Due to the change in itinerary, I do not feel we received very good value for our investment. The change was a huge disappointment, although not NCL's fault. Port Canaveral was our first port call and was a waste. There is nothing at the port - northing. The day trips were to places we had already been (Disney, Universal, Kennedy, etc.), so we ended up staying on the ship while it was tied up at the dock. A very expensive hotel! The second stop was NCL's private island. Wish we had gone there instead of Port Canaveral. The third stop was Nassau. My wife and I had been to the Bahamas before and didn't particularly care for it. It had not change and was a disappointment. We thought we would explore Nassau, but the traffic was terrible, the sidewalks were non-existent in most places, it was very hot, nothing was open until nearly 10am and there wasn't much to see near the docks. The straw market was full of junk (most made in China). We finally went back on board the ship about 2pm because we were leaving at 6pm and did not want to get stranded and be unable to get back to the ship on time. We could have taken a cruise out of Jacksonville or simply flown to the Bahamas for a lot less money. The daily activities were of little interest while at sea until the last two days. The ship was set up to go to Bermuda. Everything in the onboard stores was all about Bermuda. They did not have a very good backup plan for going somewhere else. Too bad -- poor planning. We went to a couple of shows and they were a bit of a disappointment. The sound system drowned out the vocalists. Ok, but not great. Food ranged from spectacular to not very good. The first night out I had absolutely the best Key Lime Pie I have ever had. The eggs benedict at breakfast were probably the worst I have ever had. We ate in two of their specialty restaurants -- service was great, food was fairly ordinary, prices were very high. We will probably take another cruise and may even go on a NCL cruise. It was a disappointment, but not a total disaster.

Norwegian Gem