Rhapsody of the Seas - Western Caribbean: Rhapsody of the Seas Cruise Review by demodawn

Rhapsody of the Seas 4
Member Since 2004
2,789 Forum Posts

Overall Member Rating

Rhapsody of the Seas - Western Caribbean

Sail Date: January 2005
Destination: Western Caribbean
Embarkation: Galveston
We arrived in Houston about 10 a.m. on sat the day before the cruise. We had arranged for a car thru Enterprise (yes, they rent to the port and back but you need to call as it's not available online). It was so cheap, full size $25/day we ended up with a Kia Sorrento with plenty of room for our bags. It was so easy to get to Galveston and our hotel. As this was a last minute trip, price too good not to take. We were doing things cheap! Got The Days Inn for $39 it was ok, a bed and place to put our stuff. We drove down Broadway found the harbor and pier where we needed to be the next day, couldn't find where we needed to drop the car though. Called Enterprise and found out that location isn't open on Sun. and we needed to drop by our hotel but they had a shuttle so no big deal. Went shopping on the Strand but it was cool at 57 degrees. Went back to the room and had a nap. Had dinner at a great Mexican place and early to bed.

Sun. -- Got up and had the continental breakfast More -- muffin and coffee not very good but knew we would be on ship soon. We and dropped off our luggage at 10 a.m. and went to Enterprise who took us to the pier. Check in took no time and we had to sit for about 1 hour to get on the ship. When on the ship went to the Windjammer and had lunch, checked out out seats in the dining room and went to our rooms when they opened at 1 p.m. All our suitcases arrived during the afternoon. Unpacked and went to the muster drill. After we had our first Meet and Mingle unofficial party at the pool bar. There were about 20 of us that day and we had a great time even with the cold weather it was about 50 with the wind! Had a great dinner and spent time at the show that night and checked out the music and went to bed fairly early.

Mon. -- Still cold no one in the pool but a few kids! We kinda sat under the covering by the pool, went to bingo as it was too cool to do anything else. At 1 p.m. we had our second M&M in one of the suites and we had all brought wine from our part of the country. I think we had about 10-15 bottles of wine -- a great time! Nap then dinner which I only made to for about 5 mins as the rough seas finally got to me and I couldn't get back to our cabin fast enough. I slept the rest of the night. Luckily Mike had our friends to spend the evening with they went to the show and then to sit in one of the bars.

Tues.  -- Still cold and we were to get to Key West about 2 p.m. We got off walked around, sat the guys on a bar stool at Hogsbreath and we went to Kino sandals and I bought 4 pairs and Patty one. Went to get the guys and walked to the southern most point in the USA, watched the sun go down. Very nice. Went shopping and bar hopping as that is about all there is to do in Key West. Ended back at the Hogsbreath which is really cool as you can have your family see you on the webcam. Funniest reaction we got was our college freshman daughter saying my mom and dad are on the Internet in a bar in Key West! Went back to the ship for the night show which was song and dance and we felt it was really bad. Not sure but felt like they didn't have a clue what to sing and when to dance they were off key and the dancers were never together. We only saw the cruise director Goose at the show. He was annoying! We found out later this was his last cruise on the Rhapsody before going to I think the Mariner. Lucky Lance did most of the shows/bingo etc., and he was ok.

Wed. -- Another sea day but at least it was now warm. People started getting into the pool but guess what someone threw up in the pool and they had to close it. It was closed for most of the day as we were too close to Cuba to dump the pool. Later was done and reopened but a lot of pool games were canceled. We had fun sitting in the sun and as long as my DH had his buckets of beer he was happy. They did spent much of the afternoon playing domino with other Cruise Critic friends. We had our M&M this afternoon got name badges, had some snacks and the cruise director came -- no Captain. It was very lame. The party we had on the Navigator, Capt. Bang came and he was fun. They did give away a cool RC mouse with a ship floating in it. Dinner was good as usual. Our waiter always got my meal messed up but always fixed and he was so cute couldn't get mad at him. The assist was nice too but very shy. Our head waiter was excellent. The night I was sick he sent a plate of apples and crackers with DH and got recipes for our friend for some of the desserts. Of course the recipe was for 100 and we got a good laugh out of that. We were at a table for 4 but it was a long line and found the next table always listening to our conversations! Went to the show again a comic who did magic -- not too bad. Went to Karaoke with Derek and he was funny and we had a great drunk couple who was trying to sing.

Thurs. -- Finally a warm day -- around 80. Got to Costa Maya and went into the pier area. Paid for horseback riding $25 pp took a taxi to Majahual and went for a 1 hour ride. Was really nice. Saw the town and rode on the beach and ran the horse back. Sat on the beach got beers and nachos, great service and wonderful weather! We all got massages on the beach and they were trained. They gave a great massage and girls we paid $5 less than the men but they didn't bargain. We got great deals on silver here. Mike got a ring we saw later for $75 and he paid $20. Went back to the ship around 4:30 p.m. and got ready for the second formal night! Lobster! Patty and I don't like seafood but both the DHs got 2 lobsters each and our prime rib was delicious. I found the food good each night though sometimes I was still too full to fully enjoy! Another song and dance number for the show and it was better than the last. Karaoke again and bed fairly early (midnight) as we had another beach day the next day.

Fri. -- Cozumel -- I will add here each a.m. we ate in the Windjammer and everything I ate I liked and felt that there was a great selection. We got off the boat and rented a jeep for $80 for the day, drove around and checked out the beaches -- all about the same. Took a drive along the east side where you can't swim but was so beautiful. Got stuck in the sand as the jeep we found out had the 4 wheel drive disconnected. Police came along and pulled us out and just asked for a tip which we gave them $30, which we felt was well worth to get on our way! Went next to some little shops along the way, had huge lunch for 4, 3 beers, 3 margaritas, and a water all for $40. Had no problem with using usd, oh lunch was at Senor Iguans and i would go back there in a heartbeat! Sat in hammocks on the beach and just enjoyed the view for a while, headed toward town to shop, found a cute little place that sold tequila and DHS bought a couple of bottles, went shopping in town got great gifts, took the car back and got some money off though she said she told us it wasn't 4 wheel drive so i wouldn't recommend Avis as if she had we wouldn't have used them as other did have 4 wheel drive. Another good dinner and a show with a comic/juggler somewhat similar to the other guy but both were funny. It was '50s night -- went and enjoyed that. We also went to the casino a few times but my DH doesn't enjoy the casino and our friends lost their share of money!

Sat. -- At sea we had another M&M get together, had more wine -- I think we went through 18 bottles in our group! It was the best group of M&M. We all got along so well and spent time together. I think there were at least 25 of us that spent quite a bit of time together! Make sure you check for your group. The show again that evening a special family group of kids that could do everything!

Sun. -- Out of the room by 8 a.m. Went to breakfast in the dining room and then got in line to leave. I think the whole process took about 1 hour and there was no trouble. Got our car outside of the door, headed north and went out to lunch with our friends as they were at Hobby and we were at Bush. Returned the car w/o problems, checked and found out lots of snow at home!!!!

Overall -- A nice ship. Didn't notice the wornness that some have posted, enjoyed the cruise overall. Rooms were small but we were only in it to change or sleep. Would like the bigger ship as I did get sick the one night otherwise a wonderful trip. Less

Published 03/20/05

Cabin review: m7217

Read more Rhapsody of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic’s Rhapsody of the Seas Review >>

Compare Prices on Rhapsody of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

Member Since 2004
2,789 Forum Posts
Enrichment Activities
Family & Children
Fitness & Recreation
Onboard Experience
Public Rooms
Shore Excursions
Value for Money
Skip X

See Rhapsody of the Seas deals up to 82% off:

October Deals
Rhapsody of the Seas 76% Loved It

8 Night Adriatic & Italy Cruise
See all Rhapsody of the Seas Deals >>