3. Navigator of the Seas
EMBARKATION The embarkation was well organised. You can't miss the RCI representatives at the airport and after putting your luggage on the coach, you don't see it again until it is outside your cabin on the ship. When we arrived at the port we walked straight through to the security check in and then onto the ship in less than twenty minutes because we had checked in on-line. Make sure you do this. It saves a lot of time and filling in forms at the port. Also make sure you have some kind of light clothing, shorts, t-shirts etc. in your hand luggage (it's very hot in July) because you can go straight to the Windjammer and have lunch and and then to the pool deck while you wait for your luggage to be delivered to your cabin. It was 4 o'clock pm when ours finally arrived. Trying to explore the whole of the ship as soon as you get there is an exercise on its own ... the ship is huge. The ship is a "wow factor" with excellent dEcor in all public areas. Plenty of bar lounges and varied live music throughout. CABINS We had an inside cabin, which was pitch black once the lights were out. So, if you need a light room to wake you up, you'll probably be better off with an outside cabin. Personally, I prefer pitch black other wise I can't get off to sleep. We had a queen bed (two singles pushed together) which made very little room to walk down the sides ... beware of knocking you shins on the end of the bed as you negotiate between bed and furniture. Also, there is very little room to get pass the coffee table if somebody is sitting at the "desk". The shower has two sliding doors so there is no shower curtain sticking to you. The water pressure is more than ample and the water was as hot as you wanted it to be at any time of the day. The cabin attendant was excellent and well worth the recommended gratuities. He kept it excellently clean throughout the day. POOL DECK The two swimming pools were clean and plenty of deckchairs available on most decks, even on sea-days .... unless you particularly wanted to sit at the pool edge. Obviously, 3,000 people will not fit all around the pool. The adult pool in the Solarium forward of the two main pools was very quiet. We quite liked the entertainment around the main pools so we did not venture into the Solarium. ENTERTAINMENT The Ice show was brilliant and two of the theatre shows were very good - the others were definitely below expectations. Compared with a Thomson cruise we took in 2009, the entertainment was no where near as good as on the Thomson ship - Island Escape. There's a Casino which never interested us, various activities going on through the day such as learning different kinds of dancing, learning Italian, bingo, etc We did not have the children with us (they're grown up now) but we could see that there was plenty for the youngsters to do.. EXCURSIONS We can't say much about the excursions because we chose only one but here is a little bit about the ports. MESSINA You can go straight off the ship,cross a road and a tram-line and within a couple of minutes you're in the main square. Take a road train from the square and it takes you to a high vantage point to view the town. It stops for about ten minutes so you can take photos. Be sure to be in the square at noon to listen to the various activities in the tower. It does go on though, about fifteen minutes. PIRARIUS This is the only excursion we booked. It was the tour around Athens on a coach with a couple of stops. We did this because we didn't feel like walking for too long in the heat ...39c. But the tour was not worth it. For what it was, the price was way over the top. KUSADASI By far the best port. We did not do the excursion because, once again, it was too hot. Some who did the Ephesus excursion said they were walking for two hours in the heat without any shade. The ship docks next to the main town which is a 'shoppers paradise' as my wife called it. Lovely narrow streets and alley ways to wonder around. SOUDA Not worth booking an excursion to see Chania. Local buses are queuing up by the ship to take you to Chania. Takes about twenty minutes and only 3 Euros return for one person. Head straight for the quaint little harbour and then into the maze of alley ways with plenty of restaurants. You don't get much time at this stop. Ship docks at 10am and leaves at 2:30pm. We got the bus back at 1pm. But ample time to browse around this small harbour. Buses are every 5 minutes. DINING The dEcor in the main dining room is magnificent. But that is all that was good about it for us. This brings us to the BIG GRIPE: "DINING FIASCO" We wanted to celebrate our 25th Wedding Anniversary in style so we opted for a cruise on one of the bigger ships but after just two days I dreaded meal-times. MAIN DININGROOM At the onset, there were nine people at our table - my wife and I chose a table for eight on the booking form. We were literally crammed around the table so much that I could not bring my chair up to the table and had to lean forward to eat. Very uncomfortable indeed. I don't blame the waiter because I would have thought this was down to the Head Waiter or whoever is responsible for the seating arrangements. Anyway, to sit every evening crammed around a dinner table for two hours, oh yes, evening meals took two hours, was not what I would call dining in comfort. The waiter soon let us know what he thought about Formal nights. He stated that nobody should wear ties on holiday as it is a time to relax. Even the other men at our table were surprised at his attitude towards formal dress. They and I came to dinner with suits and ties anyway on the two formal nights. In fact I wore my tux the second Formal night and what a look of disapproval I got from the waiter. I have let RC know that the waiter was not encouraging RC's dress code - the truth was he was doing the opposite. Why do RC offer tuxes for hire on the ship if the staff are against it? My advice is 'Do not pay any gratuities upfront'. Wait until you are satisfied with the services and then pay what you want on the last evening. After all, you don't think about paying for tips at a restaurant until you have finished your meal. If you have any dollars over you can use them to pay off some of your account at Guest Relations. WINDJAMMER This was a nightmare. Not only did we have to spend ages trying to find a seat at breakfast and lunch times but also it was very difficult to get to an empty table anyway. They were so crammed into the dining areas. There are no fried eggs, just hard boiled or really tasteless scrambled ones. The bacon was not crispy, nor soft, depends how you like it but so hard that it was difficult to cut. RC's response was a phone call informing me that they would pass on my comments to the ship and then tried their hardest to persuade me to use them again. lol This dining room experiences has put us both right off using Royal Caribbean again. So, even though they're old ships, it's back to Thomson's where we had better food, better service, better entertainment and far better value for our money.

Navigator of the Seas -Eastern Mediterraen

PIRARIUS

KUSADASI

SOUDA

DINING

This brings us to the BIG GRIPE: "DINING FIASCO"

MAIN DININGROOM

WINDJAMMER

Mach_07’s Full Rating Summary
Get Royal Caribbean Navigator of the Seas price drops

Too much furniture for the size of the cabin. Would have been enough room if some of the furniture was removed. For example: the coffee table was in the way. The two beds pushed together gave no room to walk at the sides of the bed without knocking your shins on the corners.
  Navigator of the Seas Deck Plans