• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

10+ Cruises • Age 70s

Sail Date: Aug 2011
Cabin: Royal Suite
Traveled with children

To celebrate our 40th Wedding Anniversary, I booked the Silhouette for the 8/10 Holy Land cruise. What I didn't tell my wife was that I had booked a Royal Suite. The jig was up when we embarked in Civitavecchia and were escorted on board by the Assistant Purser to meet our butler. Here's my report on the ship and the cruise. These are my opinions and reflect our experience on board from the perspective of long time cruisers.

EMBARCATION - A little disconnected. We arrived at the embarkation tent around 10:45 AM and were handed a group number card. When our number was called at least 15 people with numbers after ours rushed the line and got to the head of the queue. Not a good start, X. Once we were at the counter, everything went smoothly . The Assistant Purser , Nicholas, escorted us to Michael's Club where our butler escorted us to our cabin. Based on comments on this forum we opted for Bistro On 5 for lunch and were not disappointed. A very nice, tasty lunch without the crowds in the buffet. Our suite was FANTASTIC! It was like a small apartment and I will have a hard time going back to a standard cabin after this.

THE SHIP - A real beauty. Great open spaces. You never felt crowded (except at lunch in the OceanView Cafe where playing bumper cars seemed to be the rule) despite a sold out ship with 2800 passengers and 1300 crew. Beautiful dEcor and venues.

Royal Suite

Cabin RS

Royal Suite #1239. Great location on the hump port side. Plenty of storage, great views. Very quiet.

Port Reviews

Santorini

We arrived around 2 PM at Santorini. We took a ship's tour given the short amount of time we had there. The island is everything the brochures describe. Went from Fira to Oia and back. Back on the ship, we had dinner at the Lawn Cub Grill and watched the sun set on one side while the moon was rising on the other. AWESOME!!

Kusadasi

Booked a private tour with Ephesus Shuttle as recommended on Cruise Critic. Great experience. As a history buff, our local guide, a former history teacher, picked up on this and went out of his way to explain the rich history of a city from antiquity that is germane to our modern existence. Yes we got the obligatory tour of the rug factory but didn't mind it as the demonstration of how the rugs were made was fascinating. Had a great lunch at the port. True Mediterrean cooking!

Jerusalem (Ashdod)

The main reason we picked this itinerary. Three days in Israel. Not anywhere near enough. You cannot truly understand the Holy Land unless you go there. We had a private tour with Guided Tours Israel. our guide, Michal, was the best. A Sabra (native born) , she knew everybody. No exaggeration! We had a great three days with her and will book her again next year. Masada, swimming in the Dead Sea, The Old City, the Western Wall at the Temple Mount ,Tsfet, Kinneret. A truly life changing experience no matter what your belief.

Athens (Piraeus)

I had expected, based on other comments, a dirty, obnoxious rip off port. Not even close. We took the ship's"Taste of Athens" tour which got us to the Acropolis, a brief city tour and then 3 hours in the Plaka for lunch and shopping on our own. Acropolis is a "Must See" on anybody's list. Awesome views of the Atheanan area. The Temple Of Zeus is also a must see. Five story tall columns built over 2000 years ago! How? We had a fabulous lunch in the Plaka where I didn't want to leave the table :) Next year I will have my Birthday lunch at the same restaurant!

Naples

We used Italy Driver for a private tour of the Amalfi Coast. Saw Ravello, Amalfi, Positano, and Sorrento. Back to the ship by 4:45PM. Great tour with take homes of Lemoncello, Crema de Lemon, Ceramics, Amoretti, O-M-G!

1 Helpful Vote