3. Allure of the Seas
Just completed Allure cruise. Aug 7-14 Ship was nice but 6000 people is a bit much. While the neighborhoods broke up the crowds; I did find an edge to the staff and definately felt they were all about making MONEY. Some details: Room deck 6 balcony rooms - adjoining with room for our 3 girls 19, 17 and 11. Were fine and comfortable. Annoying that the adjoining door was locked for 1st 2 hours of arrival which meant a hassle to unpack (had to wait for a Supervisor). Check the shampoo containers as ours was empty and we had to wait 1.5 hours for it to be filled! Big drag on a formal night. The dress code in the dining room is \very loosely\ followed. Also couldn't enjoy balcony as we were surrounded by smokers. If you book a joint room for your kids - ask Stateroom attendant to leave all materials in your adult room - we found coupons and compass details upon departure that our kids never even looked at - many missed opportunities. Also the amenities in the room were lacking - only soap and combo shampoo/conditioner. on other RCCL cruises you had daily body lotion and a tube of chapstick. Pools were small and even my daughter said it felt like a community bath - hot tubs were too hot for the hot weather. Deck seating was competitive but we are early birds there by 7:30 and scored great seats every day. Staff around pool was terrific and worked VERY HARD to keep place orderly and clean. Bar staff was good. Ate in Solarium Cafe for bfast and lunch -perfect for us. Drinks on ship $6.33 per were reasonable. Entertainment was 1st rate. Ordered diamond wine package online and it was a good deal. Food in dining room was above average but not 5 star. Service was very attentive. We were not willing to pay up to eat at Central Park for our family of 5. Shops on board have VERY limited stock - which led to disappointment and the staff couldn't have cared less. So if you like it buy it. Did Water Island bike tour on St Thomas and it was EXCELLENT! Wanted to do the segways in St. Maarten but they were sold out. I did find them on boardwalk and they rent them for $1 per minute minimum of 20 minutes. Champagne and Bow Stern bars were very nice. Photo staff was terrific - fun and very knowledgable. The kiosks on board for printing boarding passes did NOT work and it was only when I went NUTS on Sunday (departure day) at 5AM as the staff refused to print my passes for me. Also the kiosks keyboard have the letters worn off from excessive wear. Hope you remember your qwert typing lessons! PS finally a Supervisor took me behind the scenes to print the passes. The logistics of moving people on and off and luggage handling was very good. We did not pay up for luggage valet. We were all exited off the ship by 9:30AM -really did feel like a big RCCL shove. But I know time is money and they needed to ge ready for next 6000 paying clients. Also RCCL announced a call for a missing person on Sunday at 5AM - woke everyone up and made for a long tiring travel day. tip: Take the express walk off option for departure and take an early flight so you do not lose the entire day to travel.

Allure of the Seas August 2011

Allure of the Seas Cruise Review by NWalley

Just completed Allure cruise. Aug 7-14

Some details:

Entertainment was 1st rate.

Ordered diamond wine package online and it was a good deal.

Champagne and Bow Stern bars were very nice.

Photo staff was terrific - fun and very knowledgable.

NWalley’s Full Rating Summary