3. Norwegian Gem
I just returned from Bermuda on the Norwegian Gem. Husband, wife, two kids. It was nice but after a while the constant upsell became annoying.

When we asked for one glass of wine an entire bottle was recommended instead. The waiter said "it will save you money"...strange math there. The constant pressure to add a larger autogratuity for them was obvious.

I went for a massage, which was good but expensive, and the upsell after was relentless. Somehow spending hundreds more on lotions, gels and pills would "help me feel better"...maybe by thinning my wallet and relieving pressure on my back.

Most restaurants had cover charges. The two free restaurants were nice but they had the same menus all week. The buffet eggs were powered and tasteless.

The pools and recreation areas were definitely too small for all the crowds on the ship...forget about ever getting a choice seat.

Next time, I'll spent a little more initially (elsewhere) but enjoy myself more later. NCL has perfected the art of separating you and your money.

NCL nice but money-hungry

Norwegian Gem Cruise Review by traveller1499

• Sail Date: August 2011
  • Destination: Bermuda

traveller1499’s Full Rating Summary
Rates
Ages 13 to 15
Ages 16+

We had a cabin with a balcony and it was nice, although there was too much clutter for such a small room. We opened up the space by moving most of it outside to the balcony. Great shower!
  Norwegian Gem Deck Plans