3. Statendam
This was unlucky 13th cruise. We had sailed on HA before with our kids when they were teenagers and noticed a few old-timers, but this cruise we were almost the youngest on board! I guess the line has skewed even older.

Most passengers had taken the Denali pretrip, but we did not. We usually see enough wildlife off the ship, but this cruise we only saw 1 whale once. (One of the naturalists who boarded for the glacier talk remarked that the seal population has been halved. I wonder if it is due to all these ships invading their habitat?)

The ship was clean, the cabin was quiet and well-kept, but the on-board activities severely lacking. One night the entertainment was the waiters singing ON THE STAGE as a show! How cheap!

When we cruise, we expect a floating resort, not a boat to take us to expensive helicopter tours! Haines was a complete waste of time and the weather was so bad we did not stop at Ketchikan, a big disappointment since I have enjoyed that port before.

They advertised a Foodie Trivia game and no staff came to run the game. The other "games" they ran were just as disorganized.

The ultimate insult was that you paid $11.00/day tips which were to be distributed TO THE ENTIRE CREW! Why should I be tipping the baker and the guy who does the laundry? My husband was a baker for years and no one ever gave him a tip! He was paid a salary, as the crew and staff of the Statendam should be paid.

Needless to say, we will not be sailing with Holland America again.

Statendam - Prepare to be Underwhelmed

Statendam Cruise Review by alphorn

• Sail Date: June 2011
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Large Interior Stateroom

Needless to say, we will not be sailing with Holland America again.

alphorn’s Full Rating Summary
Rates

Large Interior Stateroom
Cabin MM 658
Cabin 658 was quiet, close to the elevator and roomy.
A Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins