3. Carnival Sensation
We were skittish about taking Carnival again (this was my 5th Carnival cruise, my wife's 3rd). It turns out we had reason to be. But it was the only itinerary which worked for us on the one week we had to get away. Let's begin with Day 1. Our luggage is exactly the same, just different colors. I tagged both bags and turned them into the curbside porter at exactly the same time. Carnival somehow loses my wife's bag tag and, even though her name tag was still attached, no one bothered to cross check it and deliver the bag by 5:15 pm (an hour into the voyage). So I had to fetch it myself by walking up to Guest Services. Early that evening a steward came by to service our room. I told her we were getting ready to clean up for late sitting dinner and asked her to come back while we were eating. She said that was fine. When we returned to our cabin after dinner... the room hadn't been touched. I called Guest Services to tell them about it and told them we needed fresh towels. We left for awhile and came back to find a pile of towels on the desk. No one took away the soiled towels, nor did anyone replace our beach towels. We had ordered room service breakfast (as we always do) on Day 2. It was our usual... bagels, cream cheese, smoked salmon, and a pot of coffee. The steward delivered it to our room. There were no napkins or utensils. There was no sweetener for the coffee. I called room service to explain what was missing. The same steward came back 5 minutes later with napkins and utensils, but no sweetener. He apologized for forgetting and went back for it. When he returned he brought a dish of all white sugar. I told him I asked room service for sweetener, which everyone knows means a little of everything. I never mentioned the word "sugar." He showed me a slip and said I had ordered white sugar. I looked at him with an incredulous gaze and he said "Okay...I'm not arguing with you, I'm just telling you what it says here." He left and came back with sugar substitutes. At this point, I decided I needed to get dressed and go down to Guest Services to express my displeasure. This nonsense shouldn't happen to any passenger. It certainly shouldn't happen to a 5-time Carnival passenger. And it sure as hell shouldn't happen to a couple who booked one of the more expensive cabins on the ship. After going round and round with Guest Services and getting lip service apologies, I asked to speak to the Hotel Manager or a supervisor. I was promised that would happen. Of course it didn't. A few hours later I get a notice in the cabin to contact Guest Services about my Sign and Sail account. I call and am told my card was never registered to my credit card. I tell the Guest Services person that my wife and I registered online together, registered shoreside together, and each of us presented our credit cards to the same agent as we registered. So what happened, I asked? It was probably a technical issue. So I went back down to Guest Services to register my credit card. I also told them the promise of a supervisor speaking to me had gone unfulfilled. The person I was talking to went into the office and an officer appeared in her place. She gave me the same lip service apologies with the requisite concerned look on her face. And that was the end of that. Needless to say, we will never cruise with Carnival again and it's questionable whether we will give any of CCL's other lines any of our future business. The main reason is not the multiple screw-ups, though that is 49% of it. The main reason is... Carnival saw fit to do nothing to make things right. Throw us a bone. Give us a little onboard credit. Give us t-shirts. Crap, give us some chocolate-covered strawberries with an apology note. They did none of the above. They offered zippo. Nada. Nothing. It's as if they don't care that a good-paying passenger and multiple-return guest had a lousy experience due to their employees' incompetence. In fairness I must add the positives of the voyage. Our wait staff was superb and very entertaining. And the ship's debarkation procedure was very smooth. The comments I got from my wife and so many others who have taken this cruise line is "Well, that's Carnival for you." And you know what? Indeed it is. Fellow cruisers--caveat emptor (translation: buyer beware).

Sensation Abomination