3. Norwegian Jewel
After a cruise we took on the Norwegian Dawn last July (2010), with our two kids, we decided on this cruise with my in-laws and brother-in-law and family. Overall the cruise was a success - great weather, fun excursions, smooth sailing, pretty good shows, good food and great service - with some exceptions noted below. After snorkeling with sharks off Nassau and seeing a few dolphins off the starboard side on the way back to New York, there are only a few things one can complain about. Big disappointments: 1) A colleague who'd been on the Jewel before told me they have a tour of the bridge and upper-class accommodation - free. I was expecting the tour on Sunday after the Cruise Critic meet-and-greet. Instead we were told that there would be a tour on Thursday, but there was a charge to keep the numbers down. Fine, except the charge turned out to be $55 per person. Sounds like they've made the tour a profit center! 2) At Port Canaveral, we had signed up for the Airboat Adventure, which was billed as an opportunity to see alligators and birds. Unfortunately, an airboat is so noisy that it drives the few alligators around underwater and scares birds off. To be fair, you still see a lot of birds - as they fly away. Food: The Garden Cafe serves a great breakfast and a decent lunch. But dinner (when we ate there) seemed to have limited fare and the same dishes over and over. I guess they are steering you to their specialty restaurants, some of which are really good. Except when we attended the Murder Mystery lunch on the last day - the Le Bistro food was below par - no healthy selection, really bad lasagna as a substitute. Other: As returning customers, we were told that our key cards would show our Latitudes numbers and (presumably) would be good for some kind of "benefits" (like a free tour?). When I asked about it, I was told to talk to the cruise consultant, who was actively selling future cruises! Well, needless to say I didn't find out any more about that. Compared to the Dawn, the Jewel had less eating and relaxing space and more profit-making ventures (art and photograph sales). The gym in the Dawn faced forward and could be used promptly from 6 am on - on the Jewel it's been relocated portside over the Deck 11 cabins, so the treadmills can't be used that early.

Norwegian Jewel from NYC. Florida and Bahamas. 7/30 sailing

Rates
Get Norwegian Jewel price drops

Balcony
Cabin BC 9650
We had booked 3 balcony cabins, 2 on deck 10 and ours on deck 9. Our cabin was right at the aft elevator bank, but it was larger and much more comfortable than the cabins on deck 10. It was still quiet, so we loved it.
Deck 9 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins