3. Carnival Fascination
This was our yearly family cruise. Usually we cruise at spring break because our DS(now 16 yrs.) is in school. I would have to say this was a fun cruise because I was with my family and a friend of our DS. First let me say that the staff and crew were very nice and there was no problem or issues there. The ship is older and is showing its age, and is smaller than we're used to, but we knew that going in so there was no issue there. The food was average except for the delicious deli sandwiches which were made to your liking on the spot and the pizza was also very good. Needless to say the chocolate melting cake is awesome as always. I also have to mention that we got some of the best towel animals in our room at night than we have gotten any other time! My favorite was a scuba diver who had on my sunglasses and had our bottle of wine in his mouth supposedly chugging away. It was adorable! I think I'm getting bored of smaller ships and its not just Carnival ones, we have sailed on some smaller NCL ones in the last couple of years. I think its time to give the bigger ships a try. The DH, DS and I had a fun cruise. So here are the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly things about this 5-day cruise out of Jacksonville, Fl. The Good: The crew and staff were very nice in all areas of the ship. We had no issues with anyone and whenever we did need anything our needs were immediately met. I would say the food was good but nothing to right home about except as mentioned above the Deli sandwiches and the pizza, which areas are open 24hrs. a day. This was something the DS and his friend loved! They would be at the teen club until it closed (at 1am) and then head to the Deli for sandwiches made to order and pizza made to order. The comedians (there were 2 of them) were really, really funny. We only caught the adult shows, and they were really fun. I also liked a lot of the cakes in the buffet area on the Lido Deck, they were yummy. The Bad Too many kids running around unsupervised! This is NOT Carnival's fault, it is the parents' fault as there were many parents on this cruise that were too lazy to supervise their children's actions and activities. I've been on 15 cruises now, many of them during spring break, and I must say this was the worst bunch of misbehaved kids ever on one ship! The Ugly, Parents who sneaked booze onto the ship and let their under-aged teenager have a small amount every night for his use. The kid thought it was cool to put some in my DS's drink (after he had said he didn't like drinking and didn't want any). My DS came to our room thinking he had food poison and slurring his words. I was so angry but didn't want to start a riot by going and telling these parents what I thought of them. I just advised my kid to learn the lesson to never, ever leave a drink unattended and then come back and drink it. He was happy to learn he was not poisoned! After a good puke he was fine. This kid was also given cigarettes to smoke by his parents. How dang irresponsible are they??? All-in-all we had a good time and are ready to sail Carnival again only next time on a bigger ship.

Fascination 5-day Cruise Just Average But Fun Nonetheless

Ages 16+
Get Carnival Fascination price drops

Interior
Cabin 4C
The room was a nice size with lots of storage. The bathroom was very small. The hallway was noisy several evenings due to noisy kids running up and down the hallway. I didn't have a problem with the room at all as it was what I expected.
Upper Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Key West
    Well, this was a great surprise! I was born an raised in FL so I have been to Key West many times. I wasn't expecting anything much from this port. I'm really happy to say that it was the highlight of my trip! We went on a snorkeling excursion that was lots of fun. Didn't see a whole lot of fish but the water was such a great temperature compared to the cold ocean here in CA that I was just happy to be in the water! This was not one of Carnival's excursions and the DH booked it so I don't know the name of the company but I think any other snorkeling excursion would have probably been the same. We finished the excursion and then walked around town and did a little shopping. We then topped off the day with lunch at Sloppy Joe's. Even though I've been there several times over the years I lived in So. FL, I still had a really great time there. They had a really great singer playing guitar and the Sloppy Joe's were delicious! Service was awesome! I'll never worry about having Key West as a port stop again!
    View All 1,797 Key West Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Key West Cruise Port Review
  • Nassau
    I wasn't expecting anything out of this port and I didn't get anything out of it. Maybe if we had gone to one of the nice hotels and spent the day at their beach or gone to a really nice beach it would have been better for me. Instead we did the Carnival 1/2 day excursion to the Atlantis Water Adventure Park. There was nothing wrong with the excursion! It just was not my thing but I knew it going in because I had read about how crowded it was, etc., etc. The DH, teen-aged DS, and his friend loved it however! They loved the water slides, the inner-tube ride on the lazy river. I hated that it was so crowded and noisy. I would never in a million years go there again,at least not to the water park. Unknown to us we had a work associate of my husband's who was there in Nassau when we were and was staying at the Atlantis. He said it was a great place and he and his family avoided the water park altogether because of the crowds of people. There are other private pools on the property for people saying that hotels to use so they didn't need to go to the water park. They had a great time. We also, unfortunately, went to the Straw Market because the boys wanted to buy some t-shirts and it was just horrible. So hot and smelly!! Also, although the boys found it funny - I found it disgusting - we were walking behind a local man who was obviously drunk as a skunk who just stopped in the middle of the walkway and barfed his guts out. Not exactly what I wanted a couple of teenagers to see. I don't think I ever want to take a cruise again that has a stop in Nassau. If I do, I will definitely take an excursion that avoids the downtown area. Just to reiterate, it wasn't the excursion that was a problem, the DH and the teenagers loved it. It just was not my idea of a fun way to spend 3-4 hours.
    View All 5,903 Nassau Cruise Port Reviews