3. Splendour of the Seas
Hello to all!!! This was our first time cruising with Royal Caribbean and we were very happy with this cruise line. We have cruised with with many other lines before, but I enjoyed this ship the most so far (with the exception of the Delta Steam Boat Company, you have to try this one in one word -- AMAZING). Boarding in Barcelona was quick and easy, very efficient. We got to our room and the lay-out was nice, room was clean and our cabin steward was very attentive. Our first port was Marseilles, France, and the ship was docked quite far from town and we were bussed in to the city. Marseilles has a beautiful port but we decided not hang around too long and went back to the ship and relaxed had a soda and sat at the Atrium Pool which was beautiful. The pool is glass enclosed with Roman statues and lots of marble throughout. By the way, this is an adult only pool but these rules are not enforced and sometimes there are far too many kids running around. Our next port was Villefranche, France, and I'd swear that Catalina Island was designed after Villefranche. What a beautiful and tranquil little town to walk around, shop and people watch. Also they have some of the best pastries i've ever had!!! We had a shore excursion to Les Baux Provence and what a wonderful place this is. A small town built in the 11th Century (I think) with winding cobblestone streets and a lot of history plus lots of little shops that you can find all kinds of knickknacks. A must see. Our next day was Florence, Italy (we actually docked in Livorno and took a bus for an hour). Lots of shops and leather, leather, leather everywhere. Florence is absolutely one of the most beautiful cities that I've ever seen, and at times there was sensory overload (my neck still hurts from looking up all the time). My wife and I walked up the Campanile (the bell tower) with 420 very narrow stairs up, and we got to the top just as the bell tolled at 12:00 noon. Now here was a bone jarring experience and very cool. Roaming around Florence is like stepping back in time. There are so many excursions available in Florence and so little time. Our next port was Rome, Italy, where we docked in Cittivechia and were bussed into Rome. The bus took almost 1 1/2 hours to get there and we were dropped off not far form the Vatican and what a sight this is!!! We just happened to be there on the day for the Pope's 25th anniversary and the place was packed (we also got to see the Pope). Next we got into the que to get into The Vatican Museum which was approx. 3/4 of a mile long but went very fast. Just a suggestion, folks like to stand VERY close to you and if you are like me, I'm not very comfortable with people hovering over me so my wife being the genius that she is opened her umbrella to give us a little more space (by the way, it was not raining at the time -- just some mist). Vatican City and The Sistine Chapel were everything I've ever dreamed of and more and could of stayed there for hours but there was much more to see!!! We hit all the usual sights, Plaza Navonno, the Trevi Fountain, Coliseum, etc., Again sensory overload. By the way, our tour guide told us the BEST pizza is in Rome and I'm glad that she enjoyed it but my wife and I both thought it was terrible. Whew -- there's still more. The next day we were in Naples, Italy, where we hiked up Mount Vesuvius and what a breathtaking hike this was, literally. From the top of this extinct Volcano you can see all of Naples and the bus ride up to the Volcano is a little nerve-wracking, tight turns in a big bus. A little note, there is an additional charge of 6 Euros to reach the summit of Vesuvius in which the ship doesn't tell you about. After this we went to a cameo factory where we got to see an artisan create a cameo before us. They also sell cameo's in this factory but they are way over-priced. Then we went to Pompeii and took a tour but our tour guide was going way too fast and we were constantly chasing after him. By the way, do not get lost in Pompeii or you just might not find your way out. Finally we docked in Barcelona, Spain, and spent the next day sightseeing, feeding pigeons in Placa Catalunia -- a must-see just for fun and running around the Gothic Quarter. Overall I would have to say that this trip was amazing and Royal Caribbean did a fantastic job. We will defiintely will be cruising with Royal again.

Splendour of the Seas - Western Mediterranean