3. Adventure of the Seas
Every year we have the dilemma of where to go on vacation, that would please a growing pre-teen (11yr old) and her Dad respectively. Last year we went to Florida with family (grandparents) but this year we wanted to do something just by ourselves (Father/Daughter). Actually my ex-wife suggested a cruise (vested interest in our daughter's enjoyment!) So I looked into a shorter cruise (7 days) and the RCCI Western Med was just the right length with interesting destinations sailing from Malaga. Flew to Malaga, where we boarded the magnificent Adventure of the Seas, which stood out in the port. Boarding was relatively straightforward with hardly any wait. We were offered drinks to cool off and the kids club were at hand to register all kids into their respective clubs. Luggage was taken onboard and we received it outside our staterooms, a few hours later. We headed straight for our room, 8597 a Promenade Stateroom. We had a fairly large room with twin beds and 2 mini sofas. There was ample storage space, adequate toilet and shower facilities. TV facilities were old (CRT!) but at least ALL new films were free as they were testing new system! Feeling hungry, we headed for the buffet service. The self serve buffet Windjammer was crowded but then it would be with all the passengers embarking during the afternoon. The selection was plentiful and would tide us by until dinner time; after 630pm (my time dining option for flexible eating). There we already peeps on the swimming deck, deck 11 (since they had joined previously from Valencia), same as Windjammer. We then explored all the areas of the ship as an orientation for both of us. Spa, sports/gym, swimming pools, dining rooms, library, Internet cafe, 50s cafe, Royal promenade and shops, arcade, basketball/sports court, rock climbing, Casino Royale, kids club, theatre, screening room, a gallery and ice skating (studio b) before I required a Cuba libre or 2! Then we visited the nightclub and chapel, 2 separate areas! We got back to dress for dinner which was causal on 1st day and quite timely our luggage arrived. So we unpacked, dressed and headed for our allocated Dining room; Mozart (1 of 3). They we were seated with English speaking passengers, your choice or you can even sit alone. These would be the same people we would usually sit with. There is a separate more intimate restaurant called Portofino, Italian; which was also very good for a small cover charge. Kids would love the 50s diner; Johnny Rockets. About half the passengers were Spanish, which was not a problem as you realise it did dock at Malaga (big clue). The majority were pleasant and we NEVER had any problems. Both of us conversed and actually found their culture totally acceptable. I've read a few reviews here complaining about Spanish rudeness, let me tell you a lot of British peeps are even ruder and stuck up! Moaning about nothing!(I'm British but not in this category). The remaining passengers Inc Irish, Scottish, Portuguese, American and South American Chinese and Japanese. The ship supplies a daily newsletter called "Cruise Compass" which details EVERYTHING onboard in terms of dining, events, activities and excursions. Humorous ship events included Worlds Sexiest Man, Best Beer belly comp, Fastest Rock Climber, Best Dancer, Ship Treasure hunt, Casino Intro etc.... Here is a summary of Shore excursions and theatre events (everyday!):- Day 1: Embarkation/Cruising: Theatre: Comedy/Acrobats; Jose and Anita: Very Good! Day2: Valencia: Beautiful city. We had been before, so we went on the San Jose Caves tour. A short boat journey within the mysterious and illuminating, winding waterways. Theatre: Beatle Maniacs (tribute band): Excellent Day3: Cruising: Theatre: Cool Art: Hot Ice show in Studio B: Excellent! Day4: Rome (Civitavecchia: Old town): Theatre: Day5: Genoa: Theatre: Jackpot show: Excellent Las Vegas inspired show. Day6: Livorno for Florence or Pisa. Theatre: Maestraza Spanish Flamenco show: Excellent Day7: Cruising: Theatre: Los Gauchos Day8: Malaga (back to dock, but we headed for Granada for 4 days to extend hols: very easy by bus: 2hrs) I was disappointed that the ship did not stop at Corsica on Day 6 and had to re-schedule the port and time ashore (we got differing views on reasons why). Hence we could not go to both Florence AND Pisa (or Corsica). However Royal Caribbean did give everyone $150 for their discomfort.Some compensation, but I would not be in a rush to revisit Italy again just for Pisa (for Daughters sake) or Corsica. My daughter made many new friends around the world (which should be encouraged rather than being reserved) within the kids clubs, She wrote down at least 10 email addresses, some of which she has already written to already! The kids clubs were professionally run and ran 3 times a day for 3 hours. It seemed (like my daughter) kids could'nt wait to attend allowing for adult "me-me" time. On cruise days, the ships entertainment staff made many suggestions to keep everyone occupied. Most were great. I would have loved to go on a ship's tour but with only 15 spaces and $150 each, I said hasta la vista baby! Summary: The overall experience was a pleasant surprise. The food was impressive and well stocked. Drinks were not overtly expensive (Rum and Coke: $7.07 with Spanish tax). Bottle of Wine: $34 which can be kept for week/in room corked. The ship's facilities were great and really suit a family experience. Being Single, I thought I may feel odd and although I didn't frequent the nightclubs or certain activities, I was suitably entertained, occupied and content. My daughter was very happy and the RC staff were really friendly and generally everyone was having a great time from bubbas to Grandparents. ;o) Would I go on another Cruise? Yes, Indeed!!! (But will need to diet for a month! or risk being airlifted of the ship!!) I thought Adventure of the Seas was a big ship until I saw the Oasis/Allure of the Seas....nearly double the size!!!

Dad/Daughter cruise on the Western Med: Viva!

Adventure of the Seas Cruise Review by MalkyB

Here is a summary of Shore excursions and theatre events (everyday!):-

Day3: Cruising: Theatre: Cool Art: Hot Ice show in Studio B: Excellent!

Day4: Rome (Civitavecchia: Old town): Theatre:

Day5: Genoa: Theatre: Jackpot show: Excellent Las Vegas inspired show.

Day7: Cruising: Theatre: Los Gauchos

MalkyB’s Full Rating Summary
Rates
Ages 10 to 12
Get Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas price drops

8597: Promendade Stateroom. Floor 8, middle of Ship. Port (left handside). Room is inner room facing Royal Promenade. Even with night entertainment, the windows insulate most of the music or ambient noise at night. Lifts only a walk away, next to Internet cafe.
  Adventure of the Seas Deck Plans