Regatta Cruise Review

Alaska by sea, air, and land

Regatta Cruise Review by Stephen Kurtz

• Sail Date: Jul 2011
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Veranda Stateroom

We had never cruised before and my cousin recommended Oceania. Many on the ship told us we had started at the top. Overall, we had a fantastic time. The weather was great and what we saw was wonderful!

Our dining experiences. We usually had supper in the Grand Dining Room and found that it was better to arrive early because otherwise service could seem a little slow. If you are careful about your diet, order the optional steamed vegetables; otherwise, you will discover that the chef uses a lot of butter. My wife's memorable dessert was the salted caramel ice cream and although it only appeared once I really liked the French apple pie. Portions, thankfully, were not huge.

The pastries at high tea, especially the scones, were great!

Our shore excursions. We took level one excursions because my wife's knees are, at times, an issue. We would definitely recommend the railway trip from Skagway not only for its scenery but also for its engineering. We also took the Kenai Fiords cruise and it was spectacular for scenery and wild life. The Misty Fiords seaplane tour was also very impressive.

Our ports. As other reviewers have commented the big three (Ketchikan, Juneau, and Skagway) are too touristy; the other places we visited gave you a better appreciation of what life is really like for Alaskans.

We loved the string quartet and were disappointed that the guitarist had a canned accompaniment. He told me that to play a guitar solo in the lounge would have put his audience to sleep.

The library needs more literature and the few times I wanted to go on line I didn't have the patience to wait for the hook up.

A larger launderette would help.

My wife used the massage services four times and loved the masseur; she used the personal trainer twice and was impressed.

I was luckier than most and probably made a little money on the slots.

The stateroom staff were helpful and friendly and left a very good impression.

Stephen Kurtz's Full Rating Summary

Veranda Stateroom

Cabin was adequately sized, verandah was fine, information on shower controls would have been useful, great soap and body and hair stuff. The problem with our toilet was fixed very promptly.

Ketchikan

Too many jewelry stores and souvenir stands but if you fly over and into Misty Fiords you will be rewarded with great views and a wonderful landing on a lake!

Juneau

Away from the touristy area you will discover a not-too-prosperous small town with Mexican restaurants and bars and nothing very special. One hotel features (accidentally) a wonderful 1950s style coffee shop.

Skagway

Walk out of the tourist jungle and the area of The Red Onion and find The Skagway Hotel. The food is great, the garden is beautiful, and the carrot cake is to die for! Take the railway and marvel at the views and the engineering. The best views are from the platform at either end of the car!

Stephen Kurtz