3. Mariner of the Seas
When selecting a cruise we look to the itinerary more than what a ship has to offer. We always have a balcony for catching up on reading and rarely participate in group activities or main dining room dining. The Mariner is a good ship and well-maintained. The staff was helpful and pleasant. The food in the Windjammer cafe is plentiful and there were varied choices for every meal. What could be bad about eating french fries morning, noon and night?! My only criticism of the Windjammer cafe is that RCL piped in loud, ear splitting music over the PA system to the point where I literally had to shout to my son across the table from me! I'd much rather hear the ocean rushing by.

The ship is listed as non-smoking but smoking is allowed on balconies. I wish cruising companies would be brave enough to eliminate smoking on balconies! I sat down on my balcony one sea day all set to read and relax only to smell the cigar exhaust of my neighbor a few cabins down! Yuck!

The adult-only hot tubs and pool on Deck 11 were great to have as long as someone didn't bring their baby or under 16-year-old into the hot tub. Despite having "Adults Only" signs posted quite a few guests seemed to ignore the rules. Not sure what RCL could do about that.

We booked a private two-day tour starting in Haifa, Israel with Mark Zober (markztours@gmail.com). Mark and his wife, Marilyn, picked us up in their car at Haifa port and proceeded to provide my son and I with the insider's Israel. Mark and Marilyn were also able to drop us off at the ship in Ashdod to continue on with the cruise. I recommend staying overnight in Jerusalem at the Jerusalem YMCA Hotel so that you can make the most of your two-day stop in Israel.

In Athens we opted for a private taxi that took us to all the necessary sights. Despite the heat throughout the cruise it was thrilling to climb the many steps to see the Acropolis up close and surrounding Athens from a bird's eye view. We also visited the Plaka... a must for shopping.

Kusadasi in Turkey despite having ruins in Ephesus (a cab ride or shore excursion away)turned out to be a walking and shopping stop. We enjoyed walking the winding roads of Kusadasi, seeing the many mosques and visiting the shops as it just seemed too hot to climb any more ruins.

Both Rhodes and Crete were experiencing taxi strikes during our cruise but in Rhodes we chose to walk within the walled city along the cruise port harbor. We stumbled upon this clock tower that for 5 Euros you could climb the tower, get a 360 degree view of Rhodes and get a free drink in the cafe located below the tower. A highlight of our trip!

Crete was the least interesting stop for us and the shortest. For a fee a shuttle bus took cruise guests to the mall for shopping. We just walked into the cruise port town and back.

My one disappointment about Greece is that we didn't get to see the white stucco, blue roof, terraced buildings that you see in movies set in Greece (think "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" or "My Life in Ruins"). My guess is that the buildings would be on the islands of Santorini and/or Mykonos. Next time.

All in all a wonderful and unique 11-day experience.

A chance to see Israel made this cruise well worth it!

Mariner of the Seas Cruise Review by Ton's Mom

• Sail Date: July 2011
  • Destination: Eastern Mediterranean
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony

All in all a wonderful and unique 11-day experience.

Ton's Mom’s Full Rating Summary
Rates
Ages 13 to 15

Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony
Cabin E1 7580
Great balcony, wrong side of ship for most ports (it's on the port side), same floor as library, center of ship but close enough to stairs, closer to promenade on 5th deck and a hike to Deck 11 for Windjammer cafe (we try not to use the elevator if possible to work off all that food!), used to staying on a higher deck or in the back but neither was available at time of booking.
Deck 8 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins

• Athens (Piraeus)
    We opted for a private taxi and he took us to all the necessary Athens sights. Of course the Acropolis is a must. He also took us to another set of ruins that are part of your Acropolis tickets. By the way, you must buy your Acropolis tour tickets at the bottom of the ruins and then you go to the entrance at another location a bit further up the hill. Kids 15 and under are free.

After the second ruins we went to the Plaka. A popular shopping destination.

View All 1,095 Athens (Piraeus) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Athens (Piraeus) Cruise Port Review
  • Crete (Heraklion)
    I guess unless you have a shore excursion or a taxi ride (taxis were on strike at this stop)this stop was the least interesting. It was also the shortest time-wise. We opted to walk into the harbor town and back. For a fee you can take a shuttle to the shopping center but we opted not to.

I would have preferred to see the Greece pictured in the movies like "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" or "My Life in Ruins." The terraced white stuccoed buildings with blue roofs.

View All 221 Crete (Heraklion) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Crete (Heraklion) Cruise Port Review
  • Haifa
    View from B'hai temple is magnificent. You can see your ship and surrounding Haifa below.

We had a private tour for the two days so we proceeded to drive on to the Sea of Galilee and surrounding sights there.

View All 145 Haifa Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Haifa Cruise Port Review
  • Jerusalem (Ashdod)
    We stayed overnight in the Jerusalem YMCA in order to maximize our limited time in Israel. The reserved ticket Western Wall Tunnel tour is a must. Our private tour guide took us to the Dead Sea (it was just too hot to climb Masada) and then back to the old city of Jerusalem for a Western Wall visit and shopping in the 4 quarters of the city.

You have no control over when the cruise ship stops in Jerusalem but if it is a Friday (as it was for us) everything starts to shut down in Jerusalem for shabbat (day of rest). If you want to shop on Friday you need to get it done before 2 or 3pm in the afternoon.

View All 78 Jerusalem (Ashdod) Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Jerusalem (Ashdod) Cruise Port Review
  • Kusadasi
    We opted to just walk around Kusadasi as it just seemed too hot to climb ruins in nearby Ephesus. Maybe next time when it's not so hot.

The city of Kusadasi is interesting for winding streets, multiple mosques and varied shopping.

We might have preferred a stop in Istanbul instead but that was not an option for this particular cruise.

View All 616 Kusadasi Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Kusadasi Cruise Port Review
  • Rhodes
    A complete and pleasant surprise stop! We had no expectations for this stop and we opted to walk within the walled inner city by the harbor. Despite the heat once again, we walked pretty much from one end of the harbor to the other stopping to see ruins, enjoy the shops and mosques. We stumbled upon a clock tower near the end of our walk and for 5 Euros you got to climb the tower, get a 360 degree view of Rhodes and get a free drink at the cafe below. Kids 15 and under are free. This was one of the highlights of our whole cruise!

View All 411 Rhodes Cruise Port Reviews