3. Norwegian Dawn
My husband and I cruised to Bermuda in July 2011 on the Norwegian Dawn. This was a 7 day cruise out of Boston. Our cruise experience has been with Royal Caribbean (6), Celebrity (2), Norwegian (2), and Carnival (1). This was our second time on Norwegian Dawn. The updates to the ship were not all that apparent to us and I would still say that the ship is beautiful, but shows signs of age. There were a lot of children on board since it was summer vacation, but the ship is large and it never seemed crowded. Embarking (getting on the ship): Very smooth! The sail departure time was 4 p.m., but we arrived at the dock at 10:00 a.m. and were allowed on the ship at 11:00 a.m. Our cabin was ready by 2 p.m. In case you have a bright idea to go for a swim when you arrive on the ship, be sure to carry a change of clothing with you. If you don't, you'll be sitting in wet clothes until your suitcase arrives which ends up being around 3 p.m. or so. Cabins: Our cabin was smaller than any we've had on our past cruises. Two twin beds were made into a king-size bed and it was very comfortable. The room was attractive and clean. There were new flat screen televisions in the cabin, but it got very few channels. We had one major complaint about this cruise and it was our cabin choice. On all previous cruises we have booked mid-ship balconies. On this cruise, we decided to try an aft balcony for the first time and it was the worst cabin decision we ever made. Our cabin, #8176, was above the Spinnaker Lounge. There was very loud music playing there every night until 3 a.m.! All the reviews I had read about this particular cabin, never mentioned how loud things would be there. The music was either a live band or a DJ. It didn't matter because it was horrible and we did not get much sleep. Unless you like to party until the wee hours, I urge you not to book an aft cabin on deck 8 of this ship. Another thing nobody mentioned about this particular cabin is that when you have an aft balcony, you do not hear the soothing sounds of ocean waves like on a mid-ship balcony. You hear the sounds of a waterfall which is the noise we decided to call the water coming from the propellers on the back of the ship. The shower in the bathroom was very large and had glass doors which was nice. On the other side of the shower was a sink. The toilet had its own enclosure. Warning to large people: do not torture yourself by booking a cabin on this ship. I do not exaggerate when I say you are a few inches of the wall on all sides of the toilet area. Buffets: There was very little change in the food choice from one day to the next. The food was not bad, but it was not great either. It was acceptable and nothing more. There were only a few dessert choices every night and it was either mousse, flan, or pie of some sort. Nothing very creative. Specialty Restaurants: We ate at the Teppanyaki restaurant one night ($25 per person) and I would not recommend it unless you have never been to that kind of restaurant before. The food was nothing special and neither was the presentation of the chefs. We also tried the Italian restaurant ($10 per person) and I can't say I would recommend that either. Not that it was bad, but nothing exceptional. Main Dining Room: We ate in the Venetian which was very nice. Because of freestyle dining, there were no assigned dinner times. We liked that. I would recommend eating in the main dining room. Tipping: Something annoying that Norwegian does is charge you $12.50 per person, per day for tips. You have no choice, but to pay it because they add it to your bill and will not remove it by request like some other cruise lines will do. Cruise Activities: There were not a lot of activities to do compared to other cruises we have been on. Ports of Call - Bermuda. We went to Horseshoe Bay Beach which was really beautiful and not crowded like I imagined it would be since everyone we talked to seemed to say they were going there. I would definitely recommend this beach since they have bathrooms, umbrella and chair rentals, as well as snacks, soda, and alcohol there. We took the bus both ways for a total cost of under $8 per person, roundtrip. You can buy bus tokens when you get off the ship. Disembarking (leaving the ship): Great! Disembarking went smoothly. We especially liked that we didn't have to leave the cabin until were were ready to disembark. No sitting in a holding area like other ships have made us do. Overall Cruise Comments: We will definitely cruise again in the future, and would consider Norwegian again. Overall, the cruise experience itself was great, but I have never been on a cruise that I didn't think was great! In my opinion, there is no such thing as a bad cruise! If you have any questions about my experience, please feel free to email me at d w 3 3 3 3 (at) yahoo (dot) com. No spaces between any letters or numbers in the email address. Happy cruising! Deb

Balcony Warning