Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review

Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review by Adelphigirl

• Sail Date: Jul 2011
  • Destination: the Western Mediterranean
  • Cabin Type: Junior Suite

I will agree with other critics that it wasn't faultless. My husband and I took our six year old son off for a week around the Spanish Mediterranean. The ports were not the most exciting to call at other than Barcelona, but we knew that when we booked and our aim was purely to relax and have some time together.

Embarkation was messy but less so than the scrum at Palma Airport to get on a coach. They really do need to find a way of better organising this; for many passengers it's their first contact with the cruise line and leaves a lot to be desired.

The ship is clearly ready for a re-fit, but this really did not detract from the experience as a whole.

Our state-room attendant and waiters for the evening were delightful, efficient and really seemed to care that all three of us were happy. Sadly the breakfast staff in the main dining room were not as attentive, in fact at times were slapdash.

The children's activities were well organised, age appropriate, safe and FUN and my little boy actually sulked when asked to spend time with us! He loved it which meant his parents could enjoy the odd meal or drink together and remember who they were too.

Overall, it was the holiday we were looking for and have already begun planning our next with RCI.

Adelphigirl's Full Rating Summary

Junior Suite
Cabin JS 8548

Cabin 8548 - Junior Suite.

For two adults and a child there was adequate hanging and storage. The balcony was great and it was a nice quiet room.

Barcelona

Remember Barcelona is a big and bustling city. Most people go for a city break so you can't do it all in a day.

The organised trips seemed awfully expensive and the charge of $10 per head to drive you ten minutes up the dock road was extortionate. However they do drop you by the departure point for the two alternative "open-top" tour bus companies and we found that a wonderful way to get around.

Gibraltar

It's Gibraltar - unless you are looking for booze and duty free shops or a sunny setting for Marks and Spencer there really isn't much to do.

If you do venture up to see the apes, please listen carefully to the guides. They are wild, they do bite and they will steal everything they can. One decided it wanted my shiny hand bag (which was on my arm, not put down anywhere) and bit through the cane handle to get it! I was lucky in that it changed it's mind and ran off leaving me with a ripped bag with no handle. Fortunately my little boy thought the whole episode was hilarious rather than being scared by it.

Adelphigirl