3. Zuiderdam
[I read a disgruntled cruiser's review of this same trip and I feel like we were on 2 separate planets. Don't know how it could be, but our experience was So different!] We were expecting a good experience on HAL's Zuiderdam to the Inside Passage, but our cruise exceeded expectations in every way: PEOPLE: I've never seen such a group of smiling, helpful and friendly people anywhere. Cabin stewards were exceptional as were waiters, tour guides, front desk people -- and the great, informative tour guide (Shane) and Captain Timmers. I hope for equally helpful staff members on future cruises. CABIN: Gorgeous, beautifully kept and immaculate at all times. Couldn't have been better (we had a large balcony and spent a lot of time on it.) LIDO BUFFETS: We had excellent food and great service here. Would gladly return -- I'm diabetic and I very much appreciated the low carb foods and no-sugar-added desserts -- delicious and guilt-free! VISTA DINING ROOM: Had great food and nice service. Only exception was the last night when the staff was distracted by doing a "show" while serving -- this delayed service noticeably. Nice thought, tho. CANALETTO: This was the only place we had mediocre food -- 2 entres were tasteless. I'd focus some attention here, Zuiderdam. PINNACLE GRILL: Fantastic. My husband's salmon was "the best piece of fish I've ever eaten" (and he eats LOTS of fish) and my beef was fork-tender. Super. ROOM SERVICE: Just great. We ordered our breakfast ("eggbeater" omelettes, oatmeal, muffins, etc.) and everything was hot and delicious. FOOD Altogether: I wish I could have brought them home! PUBLIC AREAS: very nice. A previous reviewer complained of these facilities but I can't agree. The ship was beautiful and impressive. We went on a "behind the scenes" tour of the whole facility and were impressed at the scrupulous cleanliness of galleys, storage rooms, etc. They recycle everything they can. DIDN'T USE: casino, bars (much) or spa. NATURE GUIDES AND EXPERIENCES: Top notch and greatly exceeded expectations! WOULD DO AGAIN IN AN INSTANT!

GREAT people, GREAT experience, all-around GREAT cruise

Zuiderdam Cruise Review by labsal

• Sail Date: July 2011
  • Destination: Alaska
  • Cabin Type: Neptune Deluxe Verandah Suite

FOOD Altogether: I wish I could have brought them home!

DIDN'T USE: casino, bars (much) or spa.

NATURE GUIDES AND EXPERIENCES: Top notch and greatly exceeded expectations!

WOULD DO AGAIN IN AN INSTANT!
labsal’s Full Rating Summary
Rates
Get Holland America Zuiderdam price drops

Neptune Deluxe Verandah Suite
Cabin SB 8147
We would gladly reserve this cabin again. The wrap-around deck and large room made it a delight!
Navigation Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins