3. Adventure of the Seas
Just back from a a 7 day cruise aboard the Adventure of the Seas. We departed from Malaga on the 2 July and visited Valencia, Citavecchia (the port of call for Rome), Livorno (Pisa/Florence) and Corsica. Overall the cruise was good. Our inside state rooms were of a good size and there was no noise from the cabins either side of us. The cabins were spotlessly clean with plenty of storage. The food was good but not fabulous however there was plenty of it and a wide variety to choose from. It is not always easy to get a seat in the Windjammer so be prepared to wander around for a bit. The onboard entertainment was excellent especially the theatre shows, and what a theatre! The most opulent theatre I have ever seen, absolutely outstanding. Now for the nitty gritty. Be prepared for many, many unexpected extras! The RCI seem to get the furthest away berth in the ports of call (Corsica being the exception) - This means that you have to take the shuttle bus to the port gates or into the town itself. THESE BUSES ARE NOT FREE! So expect to pay an average of 80 euros (family of 4) for the week. Also, Rome itself is at least an hour away by train from the port of Citavecchia so the time in Rome is very limited (we only had enough time for a 2 hour tour bus ride and an ice cream!). Drinks packages - I purchased 2 adult soda packages and a 12 bottle wine package as I thought it would be relatively good value however you cannot have your wine any other place but in the dining room/Windjammer Cafe or as room service. Therefore if you fancied a bottle of wine during the course of the afternoon say up on the pool deck or down in the bars on the Promenade Deck you had to stump up for another bottle or drink something else (alcohol is very expensive aboard this boat. Likewise for the soda package in some areas. Gratuities/tips - Be aware that on the Wednesday night you will receive a letter through your door advising you that it is customary to tip everyman and their dog! They then proceed to tell you how much is customary i.e. how much you should tip each person and this amount is per person, per day! If I followed their advice I would have been £340 for the four of us for the week! as my kids are teenagers and therefore had their own cabin. This is an extortionate amount of money as when looking at your receipts you notice that you are paying gratuities whenever you purchase a drink or snack etc. All this aside the boat is beautiful and most of the staff were very helpful although there were some exceptions! We did not have the experience we hoped for and this was a direct result of the attitude and actions of the Spanish guests aboard. I can say in all honesty that they were amongst the rudest people I have come across in my entire life. They are aggressive, rude, surly and very loud! They barge into the elevators without waiting for people to get off, they do not remove back packs in order to create more room in the elevators, they cetainly do not move to allow you to get on the elevator (even if there are only 4 of them in there!), I was physically pushed out of the way by a Spanish lady as she made sure she was getting on the elevator regardless of the fact that we had been waiting there first. The Spanish children will sit on the staircase and block your path and no amount of requests for them to move will make them do so. Sometimes the attitude and behaviour of the Spanish made me quite distressed however by the end of the week we were laughing at their antics and their predictability. In short - would I recommend cruising - YES would I recommend Royal Caribbean - Definitely YES would I ever go through Spain again- NO CHANCE

Super Sailing - Surly Spanish

Adventure of the Seas Cruise Review by Sparey

Now for the nitty gritty.

Be prepared for many, many unexpected extras!

In short - would I recommend cruising - YES