3. Nieuw Amsterdam
Being our first ever cruise we were a little worried about travelling to ports with such a large group of people. The arrival at each port could not have been easier or any less complicated. It was once in port that I had my concerns and this was not the fault of HAL. I really struggle with the concept of seeing a new city in one day or in most cases 6 hours and barely scratching the surface. I guess that this is a fact of cruising and I am glad that I gave it a go, but I don't think it is the life for me. The ship itself was great and the choices for food seemed endless. We are at all of the different restaurants and absolutely loved the Tamarind and the great service with a smile that they provided. As with many other reviews, we found the service in the MDR to be very inconsistent and the Pinnacle, for us, was not much better. As a result we ate in the Tamarind 3 nights and had the cruise continued would have tried to book it every night. The food in the Lido looked OK, but I do not enjoy lining up for my food and much preferred the table service offered in the other venues. we made good use of the drink cards offered and found the bar service throughout the ship was great. Once we established our favourite bar tender we were guaranteed generous free pours for the rest of the cruise. the negative here was a few headaches the morning after!!! The pools are a great way to unwind and enjoy the warmth of the sun. We were lucky enough to have great weather throughout the cruise and were able to grab a swim everyday. We did not see many of the shows, although the ones we did catch were of an OK standard. The Nieuw Amsterdam certainly still feels like a new ship and is spotless throughout. Our Cabin Steward was fantastic and kept our room in a great state. Being at the front of the ship on level 10 we did feel a fair bit of vibration from the engines at night, but never enough to stop us from sleeping. The 4 rooms at the front of level 10 are a lot larger than most of the other rooms on the ship. As many other reviews have mentioned, I would advice you not to count on having any decent Internet access on board...it is available, but extremely slow and expensive. Most ports offer Internet access just inside the terminals if you really need to stay in contact. Why waste your cruising time struggling with the computer when you should be enjoying the surrounds the ship has to offer. Although i have stated that we will not cruise again for a long long time, this is only our view on the concept of cruising and not a reflection on the great standards offered by the Nieuw Amsterdam. For me there is nothing better than spending 4 or 5 days minimum in a city and explore it in a bit more detail. However, if ship life is for you I doubt you could do much better than this ship

First Time Cruiser

Nieuw Amsterdam Cruise Review by nwest_mail

nwest_mail’s Full Rating Summary
Rates
Get Holland America Nieuw Amsterdam price drops

Great space, although lots of vibration when sailing.
  Nieuw Amsterdam Deck Plans