• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

Mitch086
6-10 Cruises • Age 70s

Sail Date: Jan 2011
Cabin: Verandah Suite

I booked 4 staterooms on Holland America's 14 Day New Zealand & Australia cruise, departing January 30, 2011, on the Volendam. I booked 1 Deluxe Verandah Suite and 3 Veranda Suites for 9 people. The trip was a gift from me to my family and the cruise was quite expensive.

During the cruise for over half the time in all 4 cabins we experienced no hot water, one cabin only had hot water for 1 day. In 3 cabins we had no functional air conditioning for the entire trip and in the 4th cabin the air conditioning did not work 5 out of 14 days. It was summer in New Zealand and quite warm. We complained, but nothing was ever repaired. The cabins also were extremely dirty. The carpet was soiled to the point that you would not walk in bare feet and the upholstery was equally dirty.

I wrote Holland America regarding my experience and requested a refund of 30-40% stating that they advertise a "premium cruise experience for discerning cruisers" and that was not what we received. We received 2 star accommodations.

Verandah Suite

Cabin A

Filthy dirty. No hot water. No air conditioning. Very small cabin for being 2nd best on ship. The carpet and upholstery were too dirty to walk on in bare feet or sit on. Even after daily maid service, cabin was dirty. Sheets were not changed. Disgusting.

10 Helpful Vote