3. Oosterdam
Hi, I just returned from a Western Caribbean cruise on the Oosterdam. This was my first cruise but I must say that the whole event was somewhat disappointing. The cabins were nice and the balcony was a life saver. I really enjoyed ordering breakfast up every morning and eating it on the balcony. The room steward was by far the best and most thorough I have ever experienced anywhere in the World! He made service at the "W" look like the Holiday Inn. The Lido restaurant was little more than an upgraded Ponderosa. Service in it was terrible. I actually had to place a tray with dirty dishes on it on the floor before someone came by to take it away. It seems all the food staff are concerned with is selling you drinks. I was sick of the Lido by the second day. The Crow's Nest had some nice lounge chairs to sit and enjoy the view but the majority of them were broken and wouldn't sit upright. The band quit when it was dead (ie. just me and my wife) and the Mexican buffet that was supposed to run from 10-midnight shut down at 11. Going to watch a movie always required you having to first clean a table and sitting area, there was no staff around willing to do it. But then again, they're always there to sell you a drink! The food was not bad but it was basically the same as I would get at a Sandal's Resort. I've been told cruise ship food is out of this world so I did have high expectations and expected better. The most disappointing was the Chocolate Buffet. I love chocolate and therefore made a special trip to the Lido at 11 p.m. to enjoy the buffet. They had set up a beautiful stunning display of incredible looking chocolate cakes and pies. However, they were only for viewing and taking pictures of. When I wanted some for consumption I was told that I would have to eat from a different table which had the same humdrum desserts on it that were available every other night, only in greater quantities. Having summed it all up, I would cruise with HAL again as long as I was able to grab a special. The product they are offering is in no sense of the imagination worth full price.

Oosterdam - Western Caribbean