3. Celebrity Summit

Our family cruised to Bermuda on the Celebrity Summit in several cabins as part of a 50th Wedding Anniversary celebration. We couldn't have asked for a better ship or a better destination. Having read prior reviews warning of "worn" interiors and poor food quality, I was anxious about the trip (since it had been arranged months ago) - but there was nothing to worry about.

Yes, the ship is slightly older, and is scheduled for a "Solsticizing" complete renovation in January 2012 - but it is comfortable, extremely well-maintained and VERY clean. Sure, some of the soft case products (cabin carpet, chairs, etc) show minor signs of aging, but this did not detract from the overall luxury of the ship.

I like the Millennium class, since they're large enough to have a lot to do, but not overwhelming. They have a real "small ship" feel. The shows were top-notch, with an excellent comedian (Bruce Smirnoff) and an AMAZING violinist (Doug Cameron) who gave high-energy shows. The other musical offerings on the ship were excellent and varied as well - chamber music, guitar on the stern, etc. Very nice.

The food was excellent, just as good as I remembered from the Constellation of 2004 and 2006 - and pretty close in quality and presentation to the "alternative venue" - the Normandie Restaurant. Our waiter was super-attentive, and very caring - noting that members of the group were missing, and sending plates to their rooms as they were "under the weather." The sommelier was SUPERB - attentive, knowledgeable and yet incredibly funny and personable.

Bermuda was superb - well worth the trip. I've typically gone on Caribbean cruises, with one day per island. I was wondering how I'd feel about being on an island for 3 consecutive days. Well, in the case of Bermuda, that was wonderful... and clearly not long enough. I'll need to take another Bermuda cruise to see the rest of the sights that I missed on this visit - there's that much to see and do.

My only negative comment regards Cape Liberty - although easily accessible, the internal operations of the cruise port are rather arcane and inconvenient. Drop off of my family was easy, but then I had to park about a 1/4 mile from the terminal. I gave up waiting for the non-appearing shuttle bus, and hoofed it to the terminal building. The "longshoremen" loading the bags onto the ship were gruff and unhelpful. The Celebrity portion of the check-in was organized, but then there was a bit of a free-for-all getting on buses for the drive to the ship. Ditto that on disembarkation. New Jersey needs to give some attention to "polishing" the overall cruise port experience if they want to compete with other world-class terminals.

Wonderful Cruise on Celebrity Summit

Rates
Ages 13 to 15

Deluxe Ocean View with Balcony 2A
Cabin 2A 7099

7099 - typical balcony cabin. Small, but comfortable. Slightly worn carpet, but everything else in good condition. Bathroom clean and functional. Balcony small, but serviceable.

Deck 7 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins