3. Celebrity Summit
Southern Caribbean Embarkation With all of our flight re-scheduling and changes we were very happy just to arrive at the pier. This was around noon . We have had most people recommend that you plan to arrive the day before in the city of your port. We agree with this as it will lessen your stress levels knowing you can bump to a later flight and pick up some extra free flights on the airlines. These days with the extra security and the lack of direct flights this seems to be the rule. Once on the ground in the home port your home free. Relax it's just a short drive to the ship. I will say I had never had my id checked so many times in one day as our travel day through the airport and on the pier. After a great flight down to Miami - First class the airline over booked our original flight - we found the Super Shuttle service from Miami to the pier in Ft. Lauderdale. About an hours ride - driver got lost - and not as expensive as I had thought. This was only $23 per person to the pier. A good value from a limo standpoint service. We relaxed once we got our luggage and were seated in the van. As I said before we arrived about noon at the terminal and dropped off our checked luggage with the porters on the pier. Making sure we had our bag tags for the ship now on our luggage. No problems here. Boarding was already taking place. The original line to get inside was about 100 deep at this point but moved rather quickly. They were checking id and tickets here and also giving out some cruise card to fill out and also your boarding group number. We are in the Captains Club so we just showed our cards and bypassed the wait for the group area to the line for carry bags screening. After the baggage screening we checked in for our room keys. While we were waiting we asked about getting our Credit card hooked into our ship charge account. They did this right on the pier. We also met Amanda the Cruise hostess. We had met her on one of our previous trips on the Galaxy. Like others have stated being part of the Captains club get you past some of the wait lines. Onto the Ship. We met one of the Cruise staff up on the deck - Donnell. If he knew what he was in for from me he would have us put off the boat at this point. I have a great time with the cruise staff while on board. Cabin: #3058, cat. 10, Plaza Deck This is one of the regular sized cabins on the ship. 170 sq. ft. We have always found the Celebrity cabins to be slightly larger than the industry standard at this level. Very roomy for two. We had the two beds made into a queen, there is a small one person sofa-sleeper/couch, 2 large closets and a pull down bar for doubling your shirt storage or short hanging garments. The third closet has 6 drawers to store other things in. There is also a cabin safe with a keypad to enter your own code, an interactive TV which we barely used, so you can access your shipboard account, book excursions, order room service, pay-per-view movies (also, newly released movie videos - no charge), dresser/desk with chair, small glass coffee table, plenty of mirrors in front of the desk and the wall the bed is on. We found the side storage space on the side of the dresser on the 4th day out. The light wood panel tones were perfect for the lighting provided for the room. Also a night light next to the plugs on the dresser. The bathroom is perfectly sized for the room. If you bring any beer or wine onto the ship just ask your cabin steward to open the refrigerator under the TV. Then stow your wine or beer in the fridge. If you remove and keep / use any of the items they will be charged to your shipboard account at the end of the cruise. Just tell the cabin steward you are doing this so he will know not to replace missing items. We are most always inside cabin bookers and users. This being our 18th cruise we have booked about half the time between inside and outside cabins. Now we prefer the inside cabins. This was in a great location for both of us. Just down the hall from the main lobby. 2 decks down to walk to the gangplank to get off the ship. We both like to walk a bit more on the ship when we can. This location got us to walk the length of the ship through the lounge areas or past the cinema to go to the dining room for sit down meals. Also walk up the central stair case to go to the Shops, Casino, Theater. Our most used location was to the card room on deck 5 when we needed. Taking the central area elevators enclosed by glass was great. Being able to look out to sea or to the inside if you wanted. We were told that the ship had hit some rough seas just before we got back into Ft. Lauderdale. This was at night and we did not feel any rocking at all. The weather for all 10 days was great. It looked like we would get rain the second sea day out but it went right over us. Dining Room The Cosmopolitan Restaurant like all the Celebrity and Millennium service ships is spectacular. Soft lines and the flowing stairway to the upper level was picture perfect. The space between tables was more on this ship than I had remembered on past cruises. We were lucky in that there was always two people missing from the table next to ours as they preferred informal dining upstairs each night. The waiters central work area(s) are now in just a few places in the dining room. Not the 20 or so small ones you are used to seeing. The only negative thing is if there are any handicapped people on board in wheel chairs. Their access paths into and out of the dining area are a bit cramped. Meaning you would have to move your chairs to allow them in or out. But no worries there. It's their cruise also. You don't own the ship. The dinner music was fine. If we had a table you could see the musicians playing so much the better. I did go into the first seating for dinner one night to look for someone. There were a lot of tables not full near the entrance and upstairs. This owing to the fact that more people prefer late seating for dinner. Service provided by Jose and Fernando was excellent as we have come to expect on the Celebrity ships. I did take someone's advice and on the first night pre $20 tip the bus boy - Fernando - requesting he bring my wife and I Ice tea each night. And he always kept the glasses full. As always another wonderful dining experience by both of us. You can also get Shrimp Cocktail each night even if it is not on the menu. They carry certain items like this each night. Central Foyer AreasThis includes the shops on deck 5. We found the Cova Cafe Milano on deck 5 to be a nice area to sit and watch the people go by. If you did not notice the Coffee bar is on the Starboard side of the ship. This had Espresso and other Coffee delights on their menu. Just across from this area was the small bakery and sweet shoppe. They would have some great treats displayed here every day. This area was bypassed by most. The Offices on the ship seemed to enjoy this area when taking their breaks from ship work. The shops and the specialty boutiques had a nice selection of merchandise. The daily sales the shop staff offered covered a lot of items. From gold and silver chains to watches, and plaster statues. Their area on deck 5 Just on the opposite side of the cafe forward hosted the Art auction area for the ship. We walked through the shop area. They had a fine selection of Liquors priced just a little bit more than on land. They did not carry all the local brands for the Caribbean, but enough to cover a wide range. So check the prices before you go ashore to save yourself the time and effort of bringing back a bottle you save .25 cents on onshore. The shops also had a $10 watch sale, on quartz watches, that the wife and some of her cruise friends bought. Pools and Hot Tubs The main pool was about 45 feet in length from front to back and about 20 feet wide. The shallow end was 5 feet and the deep end 6. If the ship was going in and out of port, as it did on our trip 5 times you got a few waves in this pool. Real nice to be in as you pulled away and music was playing on deck. Just drift with the waves. There are a lot of pool chairs in the well open area on deck 10 around the pool. But beware of the chair takers. They are out in force on the sea days starting about 7:00 am or so. These are the people who put a towel and book or shoes on a bunch of deck chairs and use them for less than an hour each day. The ship does it's best to try and stop this practice but.... Everyone's on vacation and why argue with someone as trivial as a deck chair. Good hint if you need a quiet place in the sun. On the starboard side forward of deck 11 their is a stairway that looks like it goes nowhere. Wrong. This is up to deck 12 forward. Bring a towel there are lots of chairs here. And the wind screen cuts down the breezes coming over the ship as it moves. On port days their are plenty of chairs available to use all day. So don't bother marking a spot. They also have cushions for those in the well and around the pool. There are also 4 hot tubs in this pool area. so you would not have to wait to get a spot. If their not full just amble up and into the warm water. Join the conversation or just relax in the bubbles. The second pool just behind the larger pool looked to be about 20 feet long by 15 feet wide. The depth of this pool was about 3 and half fee to 4 feet. Great for the kids and adults to lounge in while the deck games were played and leaving port to the band playing. Remember the pool is chlorinated salt water, and was comfortably refreshing. Some days when they exchanged water it was a bit cool till later in the day. The Thalassotherapy Pool This area is just forward of the open pool area. It's the bubbles pool with the water spouts. This is a new feature on all the Millennium Class ships. They also have the lite breakfast and lunch served in this area. And it is lite. Not a big selection but in the right spot if you need it. I found this is another great hid away. If you are not a Sun worshiper. the glass ceiling and front part of the ship block a lot of the direct light. This is like entering a giant tub, but not as hot as the regular hot tubs. . There are jets of water shooting out from the sides and pool bottom, huge faucet-looking jets overhanging the four corners (great back massage). One each side of this pool there are chrome, in-water, loungers. The bubbles come from under this area and refresh you slowly. One of our dinner table mates, when the bubbles were not working, stopped two officers as they were walking through the area and asked are one of you in charge of getting the bubbles turned on in this pool. You guessed it. The Captain. He stopped at a house phone and twenty seconds later there were bubbles. The pool area itself was not too crowded but the bubble beds were. They also have two hot tubs in this area one on each side. Around this pool area are very comfortable, pillowed (lower back and head), teak lounge chairs. This area does get crowded as the afternoon progresses. But later in the day - about 5pm or so empties out. Celebrity Theater I'm not big into the shows. Being we have been on a lot of cruises. But the theater is great. The best looking one I have seen on any ship to date. The chairs are way to comfortable - fell asleep during the first show. The fake flames in boxes on the side are a nice touch. We just went in to see the welcome aboard show and the comedians. We liked Noodles, but his act is just re-cycled ship jokes. The best show was Kirby St. Romain. Great topical humor and got the entire audience singing. All the dancers were great along with the Metro the 4 singers. Aqua Spa, Sauna & Gymnasium Used this facility each morning. To say the least it's large. Great place to get a massage and other spa treatments. Gym has a large floor for aerobics and other workout related exercises. They have a small free weight area to one side. There are about 20 nautilus machines of all types you can use. Me I stuck to about 6 or 7 machines that I worked on my knees and legs with. There are also about 12 walking / running machines you can sign up for when the morning use crush is on. They look forward where the ship is going. A great place to work out in the Early AM - see the sun come up and watch the ship dock all while getting in shape. There are also a lot of different types of bikes you can use and another 4 machines the looked like a cross between skiing and running. There were also a few stair steppers. A lot of workout equipment for a ship. Great area. Deck 11 Running / Jogging / Walking track: A good idea to use on calm days for everyone. First the deck is not measured correctly. They sat 3 laps equals about 5/8 ths. of a mile. Well not even close as far as I see. I would like to think that six laps around is closer to one mile than anything. If your going to run or jog be sure to do this before 7:30 am - you finish time for your workout - or you will hit a mass of walkers. I also like to reverse run some days. This because of things walkers do not understand. Like when you are turning on the curves and stress on your legs and knees. But if your walking then you should stay single file as you move between the chairs so as to allow others room to move past you. I had the pleasure to meet a group of three ladies on board that would walk in the early AM for about 40 minutes. They all met each morning and were religious about this. Their outfits always matched. There were just a few runners on the boat so we were in the minority. My wife and I would also walk the deck for her exercise about 5:30 PM each night to catch the sun going down and the beautiful sunsets at sea. I always try to keep in mind that this is others vacation also and I do not own the deck so I try to adjust my running. Did so on land two times. In St. Kitts and Barbados. But it's hot out there. Another great treat for the wide range of passengers to use. Sports Deck 12 Mid ship: This is where most of the outdoor games are played. Each day the Cruise staff has a Darts, Basketball, and other competitions up hare. They also have Volleyball , paddle tennis and other games you can play out here. It's a bit windy when the ship is at sea but on port days just fine. We did not have a lot of dedicated Volleyball players here as we could only get one game going the second sea day. Rendezvous Lounge - on Promenade Deck - nice lounge where they cruise staff hosted the daily Trivia challenge and some nights had team trivia and other things going on. There was also the Battle of the Sexes team trivia that was played 5 times on the cruise. Sorry ladies - the men won all 5 on our trip. Just great fun if Rani is the host. Champagne / Martini bars Deck 5: This is just above the Rendezvous Lounge. This is another quiet place to hide just before dinner. Have a quiet drink to discuss the nights activities or reflect on the day gone by. This has a large hole in the floor to look down into the Rendez - Vous Lounge if you had wanted to. *Revelations - on Sunrise) Deck Forward - deserted most of the day. This is another great place to escape to with an early morning coffee and view the sunrise from inside. They held the Anniversary party here. I could not tell you what was up here in the late night. But there's a great dance floor and room for a band here. They have bar service in this lounge from 5:00 PM till the last person leaves for the night. *Waterfall Cafe Bar (area) - stern. This is where the morning and lunch buffet area are served. As you get to the stern - rear - of the boat in the early AM to the sides is a station that will prepare an omelet of the day for you. And at lunch these stations turn into a pasta of the day station. At the back just before you go outside - at lunch time is another specialty area. Don't miss this if you can. Some great treats await you as you go for lunch. The best cake we had was when we had our welcome aboard lunch up here. Just at the end of the buffet line. Remember - your on a cruise - They make it - you eat it. Or at least sample a bit. The area inside around the waterfall during the morning and noon meal hours is always busy and crowded. We found walking outside to the stern - back of the boat outside afforded us a table available all the time. *Celebrity On-Line Room - Deck 4. Great furnished room for Internet use. Not used much by this group of passengers. Hey I'm on vacation. But if you have to be an on-line junkie this is the place. *Notes- music library - One place on Decks 6 & 7 that I missed completely. Looked nice - Library setting. *Conservatory (Floral & Gift Boutique) - Sunrise Deck - This is just above the midship entrance to the Waterfall Cafe. They have their own stairway up to it. I had a hard time trying to figure out what plants were fakes and what were real. You can get on-board flowers from the shop every day. *Fortunes Casino - Had a nice selection of different slot machines. From Nickels to the big buck ones. The layout of the room puzzled me a bit - where they placed the tables. And I think there was only one Caribbean Stud poker table. The crowd from the theatre had to pass through this room to get back to the lounge areas. Also they have gone to the automated deck shufflers so the house picks up a big advantage here. The wife like the video poker machines but played and lost her money there. Food: Cosmopolitan Restaurant (main dining room) - Dinner: Excellent as far as I could see. Beef selections were outstanding as my wife had told me. I had the fish/seafood dinner offered each night. This and the sauces offered were the highlight of my trip. The food was as usual up to the Celebrity standards. - Breakfast: I had breakfast in the main dining room 4 or 5 days; Ordered something different each day. One time I just ordered scrambled eggs with some bacon and sausage. The plate came and it was more food than 2 could have eaten. I tried but had to push it away after getting just over half through it. Wifey did not get up early except for the last day and missed out. Something to do with beauty sleep I guess. As with the dinner menu here all was done to perfection. - Lunch: Made it here only 3 or 4 times. Good variations off the luncheon upstairs at the waterfall. Being on vacation and getting waited on is great. Take the shore. I'll take the cruise and the service. Waterfall Cafe Dinner: alternative dining - This is in the back of the ship. Our friends did this most every night. They would order their main entree. But the appetizers, salads, desserts, are all buffet. Limited menu. They said everything was very good here. You were requested to make reservations. This is a good alternative if your out on a tour and coming back late and do not want to rush to dinner. Also good for kids who meet others and don't want to sit down in the main dining room and wait. Waterfall Grill Outside at the pool. Lunch: Get in line for your hamburgers, good hotdogs, and pizza. Drinks are right nearby. Normandie Restaurant - alternative dining with reservations and an additional charge. Jacket and tie are required all the time. This is a more upscale dining experience. They tell you to plan on dining for at least 2 1/2 hours. Believe it! They had a three string musicians that played throughout the evening. We dined there on Sunday night. The inside is spectacular. The 5 star rating is well earned and deserved. We did this off a recommendation of a past cruiser. Well worth the cover charge for each person. Where can you dine in a 5 star restaurant for just a cover charge. They also have an expanded wine list to cover most everyone's selection. Some of these wines and champagnes are not offered anywhere else on the ship. Me I thought it was well worth it. Dario the assistant MaterD waited on us. Each dish was more spectacular than the last. I can only say there is a difference dining in a 3 and a half star restaurant upstairs and a 5 star in the Normandie. Try it. You will be pleased. They can only serve about 120 people a night. So when you get on board. Find the elevators on Plaza Deck 3. Just behind them is the entrance. Book it for one night. If your with friends take them. They have tables that we saw could accommodate up to 8. Shore Excursions: We don't do them. Just got off the ship and looked around and shopped in the port area. Golfers beware. Your trip to Mahogany Run will tie you up for the full day on land. Staff: *Our cabin steward was excellent. It was like he was a ghost. I saw the others working in the area but not him. We would only give him about an hour in the AM to clean up and whenever we returned, the room was perfect. He also opened the small ship fridge in the room and let me store - cool my beer. What service. *Dining room wait staff -waiter, assistant waiter, head waiter - Great. Although we never saw our area MaterD. They worked tirelessly for our group. Getting everything and not missing a beat. Those 6 and a half Lobster tails the brought me were the capper of the trip. We did not order wine upstairs with dinner but our wine stewardess was always asking if we would like anything. Smiles all around. We requested the first night and got Ice Tea on the table every night of the cruise. Something we really appreciate. Passengers: This was the shorter 10 day cruise. And some of the northern schools were out on vacation. Hence a few more kids on board. It would have been nice if those darn kids didn't keep beating me at the adult games. Darn you Katie. But any sailing over 7 days attracts a bit older crowd. I would have to say the average age was about 50 years old. There were a lot of young kids on the cruise and we saw them with their camp counselors playing about the ship each day. They have a real good program for the younger kids on board. As the kids get into their teens they tend to stay away from the ship programs. This was a normal friendly group as you will meet on most any ship. Just relax sit down listen - strike up a conversation and the sit back and listen. One thing I am catching onto is that just about everyone we talked to has cruised at least 10 times. The long timer on this trip was 32 cruises with Celebrity. Darn this was only our 9th. The 10th will be in February 2003 out of Tampa. It's never too early to plan. Met a lot of nice groups of people by doing different games and thing on the ship. As everyone who cruises each to his own. Me I'm active and see a big cross section of people. Cruise Staff: Donnell, Rani White, Mike, Lisa & Peter. There was also Bingo Bob but we did not run into him much. This had to be one of the best cruise staff on the Celebrity ships. By the third day they all knew who I was. By the 6th they were wondering if we pay the line can they send this guy off the ship.... Laughing here. I have a great time doing games and Trivia with the cruise staff and anyone I meet along the trip. They make the trip special if you like to be active and do these types of activities. Disembarkation: The Summit arrived back in Ft. Lauderdale some time in the early AM and was cleared by customs at about 8. We had air reservations out of Miami for a 1:20 PM flight. So there was no rush to go anywhere. Just one bag misplaced this time around. Off our record 3 a few trips ago. But some luggage looks similar to others. We got a porter then went outside to find our Super Shuttle limo. They did not show up. Got Van service over to the left of the terminal to Miami airport. Took about 45 minutes to get there to our terminal - American. The van service was even less than we paid for the trip to the pier - just $31 for both of us. The American attendant helped us find a cart for luggage and put us into the correct line area to check in. They also checked all our baggage before it was sent onto the plane. Is this one of the few airports that does this? Well no problems here. In the air and back in Jersey by 4:35 PM. Darn it's cold up here. Ship Impressions: This ship is the most attractive one we have been on. The Celebrity ships just get better and better. I liked the central atrium area. Not the top to bottom of the ship. Too large and you get too much noise in the area. The artwork is placed at intervals about the ship. You may or may not like some of it. But it is all tastefully done. Ship is also laid out real well. I would have to say that everything about the ship is beautiful, and tastefully put together. From the cabins, public areas, pools, spa, sauna, gymnasium, shops, the Conservatory, to the lounges, and the open-air deck space. The ports we traveled to were fine. Most people like to island hop. We liked the 2 days at sea, followed by the 5 islands, and then 2 more sea days. If anyone has questions about the 10 day cruise on the Summit, just email back and I'll try to answer them. We have already booked our next Celebrity trip - August and working on our trip for next winter out of Tampa. Keep planning - Keep Cruising.... With Celebrity. Tom Treimel June 2002

Summit

Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by Tom Treimel

• Sail Date: December 1899
  • Destination:
Southern Caribbean

Embarkation With all of our flight re-scheduling and changes we were very
happy just to arrive at the pier. This was around noon . We have had most
people recommend that you plan to arrive the day before in the city of your
port. We agree with this as it will lessen your stress levels knowing you
can bump to a later flight and pick up some extra free flights on the
airlines. These days with the extra security and the lack of direct flights
this seems to be the rule. Once on the ground in the home port your home
free. Relax it's just a short drive to the ship. I will say I had never had
my id checked so many times in one day as our travel day through the airport
and on the pier. After a great flight down to Miami - First class the
airline over booked our original flight - we found the Super Shuttle service
from Miami to the pier in Ft. Lauderdale. About an hours ride - driver got
lost - and not as expensive as I had thought. This was only $23 per person
to the pier. A good value from a limo standpoint service. We relaxed once we
got our luggage and were seated in the van. As I said before we arrived
about noon at the terminal and dropped off our checked luggage with the
porters on the pier. Making sure we had our bag tags for the ship now on our
luggage. No problems here. Boarding was already taking place. The original
line to get inside was about 100 deep at this point but moved rather
quickly. They were checking id and tickets here and also giving out some
cruise card to fill out and also your boarding group number. We are in the
Captains Club so we just showed our cards and bypassed the wait for the
group area to the line for carry bags screening. After the baggage screening
we checked in for our room keys. While we were waiting we asked about
getting our Credit card hooked into our ship charge account. They did this
right on the pier. We also met Amanda the Cruise hostess. We had met her on
one of our previous trips on the Galaxy. Like others have stated being part
of the Captains club get you past some of the wait lines. Onto the Ship. We
met one of the Cruise staff up on the deck - Donnell. If he knew what he was
in for from me he would have us put off the boat at this point. I have a
great time with the cruise staff while on board.
Cabin: #3058, cat. 10, Plaza Deck This is one of the regular sized cabins
on the ship. 170 sq. ft. We have always found the Celebrity cabins to be
slightly larger than the industry standard at this level. Very roomy for
two. We had the two beds made into a queen, there is a small one person
sofa-sleeper/couch, 2 large closets and a pull down bar for doubling your
shirt storage or short hanging garments. The third closet has 6 drawers to
store other things in. There is also a cabin safe with a keypad to enter
your own code, an interactive TV which we barely used, so you can access
your shipboard account, book excursions, order room service, pay-per-view
movies (also, newly released movie videos - no charge), dresser/desk with
chair, small glass coffee table, plenty of mirrors in front of the desk and
the wall the bed is on. We found the side storage space on the side of the
dresser on the 4th day out. The light wood panel tones were perfect for the
lighting provided for the room. Also a night light next to the plugs on the
dresser. The bathroom is perfectly sized for the room. If you bring any beer
or wine onto the ship just ask your cabin steward to open the refrigerator
under the TV. Then stow your wine or beer in the fridge. If you remove and
keep / use any of the items they will be charged to your shipboard account
at the end of the cruise. Just tell the cabin steward you are doing this so
he will know not to replace missing items.
We are most always inside cabin bookers and users. This being our 18th
cruise we have booked about half the time between inside and outside cabins.
Now we prefer the inside cabins. This was in a great location for both of
us. Just down the hall from the main lobby. 2 decks down to walk to the
gangplank to get off the ship. We both like to walk a bit more on the ship
when we can. This location got us to walk the length of the ship through the
lounge areas or past the cinema to go to the dining room for sit down meals.
Also walk up the central stair case to go to the Shops, Casino, Theater. Our
most used location was to the card room on deck 5 when we needed. Taking the
central area elevators enclosed by glass was great. Being able to look out
to sea or to the inside if you wanted. We were told that the ship had hit
some rough seas just before we got back into Ft. Lauderdale. This was at
night and we did not feel any rocking at all. The weather for all 10 days
was great. It looked like we would get rain the second sea day out but it
went right over us.
Dining Room The Cosmopolitan Restaurant like all the Celebrity and
Millennium service ships is spectacular. Soft lines and the flowing stairway
to the upper level was picture perfect. The space between tables was more on
this ship than I had remembered on past cruises. We were lucky in that there
was always two people missing from the table next to ours as they preferred
informal dining upstairs each night. The waiters central work area(s) are
now in just a few places in the dining room. Not the 20 or so small ones you
are used to seeing. The only negative thing is if there are any handicapped
people on board in wheel chairs. Their access paths into and out of the
dining area are a bit cramped. Meaning you would have to move your chairs to
allow them in or out. But no worries there. It's their cruise also. You
don't own the ship. The dinner music was fine. If we had a table you could
see the musicians playing so much the better. I did go into the first
seating for dinner one night to look for someone. There were a lot of tables
not full near the entrance and upstairs. This owing to the fact that more
people prefer late seating for dinner. Service provided by Jose and Fernando
was excellent as we have come to expect on the Celebrity ships. I did take
someone's advice and on the first night pre $20 tip the bus boy - Fernando -
requesting he bring my wife and I Ice tea each night. And he always kept the
glasses full. As always another wonderful dining experience by both of us.
You can also get Shrimp Cocktail each night even if it is not on the menu.
They carry certain items like this each night.
Central Foyer AreasThis includes the shops on deck 5. We found the Cova
Cafe Milano on deck 5 to be a nice area to sit and watch the people go by.
If you did not notice the Coffee bar is on the Starboard side of the ship.
This had Espresso and other Coffee delights on their menu. Just across from
this area was the small bakery and sweet shoppe. They would have some great
treats displayed here every day. This area was bypassed by most. The Offices
on the ship seemed to enjoy this area when taking their breaks from ship
work. The shops and the specialty boutiques had a nice selection of
merchandise. The daily sales the shop staff offered covered a lot of items.
From gold and silver chains to watches, and plaster statues. Their area on
deck 5 Just on the opposite side of the cafe forward hosted the Art auction
area for the ship. We walked through the shop area. They had a fine
selection of Liquors priced just a little bit more than on land. They did
not carry all the local brands for the Caribbean, but enough to cover a wide
range. So check the prices before you go ashore to save yourself the time
and effort of bringing back a bottle you save .25 cents on onshore. The
shops also had a $10 watch sale, on quartz watches, that the wife and some
of her cruise friends bought.
Pools and Hot Tubs The main pool was about 45 feet in length from front to
back and about 20 feet wide. The shallow end was 5 feet and the deep end 6.
If the ship was going in and out of port, as it did on our trip 5 times you
got a few waves in this pool. Real nice to be in as you pulled away and
music was playing on deck. Just drift with the waves. There are a lot of
pool chairs in the well open area on deck 10 around the pool. But beware of
the chair takers. They are out in force on the sea days starting about 7:00
am or so. These are the people who put a towel and book or shoes on a bunch
of deck chairs and use them for less than an hour each day. The ship does
it's best to try and stop this practice but.... Everyone's on vacation and
why argue with someone as trivial as a deck chair. Good hint if you need a
quiet place in the sun. On the starboard side forward of deck 11 their is a
stairway that looks like it goes nowhere. Wrong. This is up to deck 12
forward. Bring a towel there are lots of chairs here. And the wind screen
cuts down the breezes coming over the ship as it moves. On port days their
are plenty of chairs available to use all day. So don't bother marking a
spot. They also have cushions for those in the well and around the pool.
There are also 4 hot tubs in this pool area. so you would not have to wait
to get a spot. If their not full just amble up and into the warm water. Join
the conversation or just relax in the bubbles. The second pool just behind
the larger pool looked to be about 20 feet long by 15 feet wide. The depth
of this pool was about 3 and half fee to 4 feet. Great for the kids and
adults to lounge in while the deck games were played and leaving port to the
band playing. Remember the pool is chlorinated salt water, and was
comfortably refreshing. Some days when they exchanged water it was a bit
cool till later in the day.
The Thalassotherapy Pool This area is just forward of the open pool area.
It's the bubbles pool with the water spouts. This is a new feature on all
the Millennium Class ships. They also have the lite breakfast and lunch
served in this area. And it is lite. Not a big selection but in the right
spot if you need it. I found this is another great hid away. If you are not
a Sun worshiper. the glass ceiling and front part of the ship block a lot of
the direct light. This is like entering a giant tub, but not as hot as the
regular hot tubs. . There are jets of water shooting out from the sides and
pool bottom, huge faucet-looking jets overhanging the four corners (great
back massage). One each side of this pool there are chrome, in-water,
loungers. The bubbles come from under this area and refresh you slowly. One
of our dinner table mates, when the bubbles were not working, stopped two
officers as they were walking through the area and asked are one of you in
charge of getting the bubbles turned on in this pool. You guessed it. The
Captain. He stopped at a house phone and twenty seconds later there were
bubbles. The pool area itself was not too crowded but the bubble beds were.
They also have two hot tubs in this area one on each side. Around this pool
area are very comfortable, pillowed (lower back and head), teak lounge
chairs. This area does get crowded as the afternoon progresses. But later in
the day - about 5pm or so empties out.
Celebrity Theater I'm not big into the shows. Being we have been on a lot
of cruises. But the theater is great. The best looking one I have seen on
any ship to date. The chairs are way to comfortable - fell asleep during the
first show. The fake flames in boxes on the side are a nice touch. We just
went in to see the welcome aboard show and the comedians. We liked Noodles,
but his act is just re-cycled ship jokes. The best show was Kirby St.
Romain. Great topical humor and got the entire audience singing. All the
dancers were great along with the Metro the 4 singers.
Aqua Spa, Sauna & Gymnasium Used this facility each morning. To say the
least it's large. Great place to get a massage and other spa treatments. Gym
has a large floor for aerobics and other workout related exercises. They
have a small free weight area to one side. There are about 20 nautilus
machines of all types you can use. Me I stuck to about 6 or 7 machines that
I worked on my knees and legs with. There are also about 12 walking /
running machines you can sign up for when the morning use crush is on. They
look forward where the ship is going. A great place to work out in the Early
AM - see the sun come up and watch the ship dock all while getting in shape.
There are also a lot of different types of bikes you can use and another 4
machines the looked like a cross between skiing and running. There were also
a few stair steppers. A lot of workout equipment for a ship. Great area.
Deck 11 Running / Jogging / Walking track: A good idea to use on calm days
for everyone. First the deck is not measured correctly. They sat 3 laps
equals about 5/8 ths. of a mile. Well not even close as far as I see. I
would like to think that six laps around is closer to one mile than
anything. If your going to run or jog be sure to do this before 7:30 am -
you finish time for your workout - or you will hit a mass of walkers. I also
like to reverse run some days. This because of things walkers do not
understand. Like when you are turning on the curves and stress on your legs
and knees. But if your walking then you should stay single file as you move
between the chairs so as to allow others room to move past you. I had the
pleasure to meet a group of three ladies on board that would walk in the
early AM for about 40 minutes. They all met each morning and were religious
about this. Their outfits always matched. There were just a few runners on
the boat so we were in the minority. My wife and I would also walk the deck
for her exercise about 5:30 PM each night to catch the sun going down and
the beautiful sunsets at sea. I always try to keep in mind that this is
others vacation also and I do not own the deck so I try to adjust my
running. Did so on land two times. In St. Kitts and Barbados. But it's hot
out there. Another great treat for the wide range of passengers to use.
Sports Deck 12 Mid ship: This is where most of the outdoor games are played.
Each day the Cruise staff has a Darts, Basketball, and other competitions up
hare. They also have Volleyball , paddle tennis and other games you can play
out here. It's a bit windy when the ship is at sea but on port days just
fine. We did not have a lot of dedicated Volleyball players here as we could
only get one game going the second sea day. Rendezvous Lounge - on Promenade
Deck - nice lounge where they cruise staff hosted the daily Trivia challenge
and some nights had team trivia and other things going on. There was also
the Battle of the Sexes team trivia that was played 5 times on the cruise.
Sorry ladies - the men won all 5 on our trip. Just great fun if Rani is the
host. Champagne / Martini bars Deck 5: This is just above the Rendezvous
Lounge. This is another quiet place to hide just before dinner. Have a quiet
drink to discuss the nights activities or reflect on the day gone by. This
has a large hole in the floor to look down into the Rendez - Vous Lounge if
you had wanted to.
*Revelations - on Sunrise) Deck Forward - deserted most of the day. This is
another great place to escape to with an early morning coffee and view the
sunrise from inside. They held the Anniversary party here. I could not tell
you what was up here in the late night. But there's a great dance floor and
room for a band here. They have bar service in this lounge from 5:00 PM till
the last person leaves for the night.
*Waterfall Cafe Bar (area) - stern. This is where the morning and lunch
buffet area are served. As you get to the stern - rear - of the boat in the
early AM to the sides is a station that will prepare an omelet of the day
for you. And at lunch these stations turn into a pasta of the day station.
At the back just before you go outside - at lunch time is another specialty
area. Don't miss this if you can. Some great treats await you as you go for
lunch. The best cake we had was when we had our welcome aboard lunch up
here. Just at the end of the buffet line. Remember - your on a cruise - They
make it - you eat it. Or at least sample a bit. The area inside around the
waterfall during the morning and noon meal hours is always busy and crowded.
We found walking outside to the stern - back of the boat outside afforded us
a table available all the time.
*Celebrity On-Line Room - Deck 4. Great furnished room for Internet use. Not
used much by this group of passengers. Hey I'm on vacation. But if you have
to be an on-line junkie this is the place.
*Notes- music library - One place on Decks 6 & 7 that I missed completely.
Looked nice - Library setting.
*Conservatory (Floral & Gift Boutique) - Sunrise Deck - This is just above
the midship entrance to the Waterfall Cafe. They have their own stairway up
to it. I had a hard time trying to figure out what plants were fakes and
what were real. You can get on-board flowers from the shop every day.
*Fortunes Casino - Had a nice selection of different slot machines. From
Nickels to the big buck ones. The layout of the room puzzled me a bit -
where they placed the tables. And I think there was only one Caribbean Stud
poker table. The crowd from the theatre had to pass through this room to get
back to the lounge areas. Also they have gone to the automated deck
shufflers so the house picks up a big advantage here. The wife like the
- Dinner: Excellent as far as I could see. Beef selections were outstanding
as my wife had told me. I had the fish/seafood dinner offered each night.
This and the sauces offered were the highlight of my trip. The food was as
usual up to the Celebrity standards. - Breakfast: I had breakfast in the
main dining room 4 or 5 days; Ordered something different each day. One time
I just ordered scrambled eggs with some bacon and sausage. The plate came
and it was more food than 2 could have eaten. I tried but had to push it
away after getting just over half through it. Wifey did not get up early
except for the last day and missed out. Something to do with beauty sleep I
guess. As with the dinner menu here all was done to perfection.
- Lunch: Made it here only 3 or 4 times. Good variations off the luncheon
upstairs at the waterfall. Being on vacation and getting waited on is great.
Take the shore. I'll take the cruise and the service.
Waterfall Cafe Dinner: alternative dining - This is in the back of the
ship. Our friends did this most every night. They would order their main
entree. But the appetizers, salads, desserts, are all buffet. Limited menu.
They said everything was very good here. You were requested to make
reservations. This is a good alternative if your out on a tour and coming
back late and do not want to rush to dinner. Also good for kids who meet
others and don't want to sit down in the main dining room and wait.
Waterfall Grill Outside at the pool. Lunch: Get in line for your
hamburgers, good hotdogs, and pizza. Drinks are right nearby.
Normandie Restaurant - alternative dining with reservations and an
additional charge. Jacket and tie are required all the time. This is a more
upscale dining experience. They tell you to plan on dining for at least 2
1/2 hours. Believe it! They had a three string musicians that played
throughout the evening. We dined there on Sunday night. The inside is
spectacular. The 5 star rating is well earned and deserved. We did this off
a recommendation of a past cruiser. Well worth the cover charge for each
person. Where can you dine in a 5 star restaurant for just a cover charge.
They also have an expanded wine list to cover most everyone's selection.
Some of these wines and champagnes are not offered anywhere else on the
ship. Me I thought it was well worth it. Dario the assistant MaterD waited
on us. Each dish was more spectacular than the last. I can only say there is
a difference dining in a 3 and a half star restaurant upstairs and a 5 star
in the Normandie. Try it. You will be pleased. They can only serve about 120
people a night. So when you get on board. Find the elevators on Plaza Deck
3. Just behind them is the entrance. Book it for one night. If your with
friends take them. They have tables that we saw could accommodate up to 8.
Shore Excursions: We don't do them. Just got off the ship and looked around
and shopped in the port area. Golfers beware. Your trip to Mahogany Run will
tie you up for the full day on land.
Staff: *Our cabin steward was excellent. It was like he was a ghost. I saw
the others working in the area but not him. We would only give him about an
hour in the AM to clean up and whenever we returned, the room was perfect.
He also opened the small ship fridge in the room and let me store - cool my
beer. What service. *Dining room wait staff -waiter, assistant waiter, head
waiter - Great. Although we never saw our area MaterD. They worked
tirelessly for our group. Getting everything and not missing a beat. Those 6
and a half Lobster tails the brought me were the capper of the trip. We did
not order wine upstairs with dinner but our wine stewardess was always
asking if we would like anything. Smiles all around. We requested the first
night and got Ice Tea on the table every night of the cruise. Something we
really appreciate.
Passengers: This was the shorter 10 day cruise. And some of the northern
schools were out on vacation. Hence a few more kids on board. It would have
been nice if those darn kids didn't keep beating me at the adult games. Darn
you Katie. But any sailing over 7 days attracts a bit older crowd. I would
have to say the average age was about 50 years old. There were a lot of
young kids on the cruise and we saw them with their camp counselors playing
about the ship each day. They have a real good program for the younger kids
on board. As the kids get into their teens they tend to stay away from the
ship programs.
This was a normal friendly group as you will meet on most any ship. Just
relax sit down listen - strike up a conversation and the sit back and
listen. One thing I am catching onto is that just about everyone we talked
to has cruised at least 10 times. The long timer on this trip was 32 cruises
with Celebrity. Darn this was only our 9th. The 10th will be in February
2003 out of Tampa. It's never too early to plan. Met a lot of nice groups of
people by doing different games and thing on the ship. As everyone who
cruises each to his own. Me I'm active and see a big cross section of
people.
Cruise Staff: Donnell, Rani White, Mike, Lisa & Peter. There was also Bingo
Bob but we did not run into him much. This had to be one of the best cruise
staff on the Celebrity ships. By the third day they all knew who I was. By
the 6th they were wondering if we pay the line can they send this guy off
the ship.... Laughing here. I have a great time doing games and Trivia with
the cruise staff and anyone I meet along the trip. They make the trip
special if you like to be active and do these types of activities.
Disembarkation: The Summit arrived back in Ft. Lauderdale some time in the
early AM and was cleared by customs at about 8. We had air reservations out
of Miami for a 1:20 PM flight. So there was no rush to go anywhere. Just one
bag misplaced this time around. Off our record 3 a few trips ago. But some
luggage looks similar to others. We got a porter then went outside to find
our Super Shuttle limo. They did not show up. Got Van service over to the
left of the terminal to Miami airport. Took about 45 minutes to get there to
our terminal - American. The van service was even less than we paid for the
trip to the pier - just $31 for both of us. The American attendant helped us
find a cart for luggage and put us into the correct line area to check in.
They also checked all our baggage before it was sent onto the plane. Is this
one of the few airports that does this? Well no problems here. In the air
and back in Jersey by 4:35 PM. Darn it's cold up here.
Ship Impressions: This ship is the most attractive one we have been on. The
Celebrity ships just get better and better. I liked the central atrium area.
Not the top to bottom of the ship. Too large and you get too much noise in
the area. The artwork is placed at intervals about the ship. You may or may
not like some of it. But it is all tastefully done. Ship is also laid out
real well. I would have to say that everything about the ship is beautiful,
and tastefully put together. From the cabins, public areas, pools, spa,
sauna, gymnasium, shops, the Conservatory, to the lounges, and the open-air
deck space. The ports we traveled to were fine. Most people like to island
hop. We liked the 2 days at sea, followed by the 5 islands, and then 2 more
sea days.
If anyone has questions about the 10 day cruise on the Summit, just email
back and I'll try to answer them. We have already booked our next Celebrity
trip - August and working on our trip for next winter out of Tampa. Keep
planning - Keep Cruising.... With Celebrity.
Tom Treimel June 2002