My husband and I went on a cruise in late March 2011 with Holland America from San Diego, California to Hawaii and back to San Diego. The cruise was great, very relaxing, great food and great entertainment. The ship was clean and it continued to be cleaned throughout the cruise. Our room was clean, spacious and with plenty of drawers and closet space.

Our ship crew was always polite and greeted you with a smile where ever we went. They were always there to please you. I have read many negative reviews and I am sorry to see them for they are not true. This is our second cruise with this ship and every penny spent was well worth it. ALL of the people on the ship were always willing to make our cruise the best and they did just that.

Our only negative was that the pool was not filled a few days out and back so we were unable to use it because of the earthquakes in Japan which caused the ocean to be unhappy and created large swales that would cause dangerous slip hazards on deck from the water sloshing out of the pools. But that was not the ships fault. They all highly believe in safety first. So don't hesitate in taking a cruise on this ship, when we went it was a full ship no empty rooms so it can't be as bad as some people write. They probably have never been in the ship to begin with.

Holland America Zaandam Cruise to Hawaii

safetydoe’s Full Rating Summary
Rates

Large Ocean-View Stateroom
Cabin DA 2656
The ship was clean and it continued to be cleaned throughout the cruise. Our room was clean, spacious and with plenty of drawers and closet space and quiet.
Verandah Deck Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins, Balcony Cabins

• Ensenada
    Since we didn’t get into port until 9:30 pm and the ship was not going to stay long we just got off the ship long enough to pick up a Mexican souvenir at the shop in their port and got back on the ship to retire for the evening. Let’s just say we have been to Mexico and leave it that way.

Overall some say we might not have done so much on the islands but we feel we did enough and we basically took the cruise to relax and we did so.

View All 434 Ensenada Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Ensenada Cruise Port Review
  • Hilo
    It rained when we got there and it rained while we were there and it rained when we let. What can I say it is the wet side of the island but the people were very nice and they have a Walmart. There was a free shuttle to Walmart for any forgotten medication and Hilo Hattie for a few souvenirs. We heard the helicopter rides to the volcanoes were great but we were too late on signing up so we did not go this time.

View All 463 Hilo Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Hilo Cruise Port Review
  • Honolulu
    Visited the SS Arizona, everyone should take the time to visit this it is so moving for everyone. It has really expanded since I went 20 years ago so go if you have a chance. It is all free and very worth it. Also beaches a beautiful. Want to go to a luau? Paradise Cove is a nice luau. Sign up as a shore excursion, yes it may seem a little pricy but you get a great ride over and back from the ship on an air condition coach bus, four free drinks, meal with dessert and a great show.

View All 520 Honolulu Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Honolulu Cruise Port Review
  • Kauai
    Here we got a free shuttle to the beach and shopping. We loved this beach it was located right behind the Marriott Resort. What a great place. We visited the Marriott while we were there too and if we should go back we would stay at this hotel. I think it had the biggest pool I have ever seen.

View All 426 Kauai Cruise Port Reviews
    View Cruise Critic's Kauai Cruise Port Review
  • Maui
    This was a tender island. Meaning the waters were not deep enough for the ship to dock so it was fun to take in the small rescue boats. Here we really didn’t do much for to get to a great beach it was going to take at least and hour and a half drive by taxi and that was going to take up too much time but we heard some friends of ours on the ship went horse back riding and they had a great time.

View All 494 Maui Cruise Port Reviews