3. Celebrity Constellation
We've sailed Celebrity more than any other cruise line, but lately we've been sailing on Princess. So that is our standard of comparison, that, and the previously Celebrity cruises.

First, the good points. The entertainment was a cut above what Celebrity used to provide. It was fairly good, but late in the cruise the shows turned pretty awful. Still, better than before, but not as good as Princess. We'll give this one a base hit.

Michael's Club, with Perry Grant, was a highlight of the cruise. He won't appeal to everyone, but we really liked his schtick. It was somewhat hard to get in to see him though, as the club is small. But we worked it out. This was a home run.

The Thalassotherapy pool is great, as remembered. This is a nice feature on this class of ship. Seating in the area, in the solarium, is limited, and hard to get though. It's inconvenient to have to get there early in the day for seating. Still, this one is a double.

The Aqua Spa Cafe nearby is a nice treat, with some wholesome lighter fare. We used this often for breakfast and lunch. Another double.

Food was good, but not great, and not as good as it had been. What used to be a double, is now not even a single. I'll give it a walk, just the same.

Staff was all very pleasant. They seem to have been coached to provide pleasantries to guests. Generally they seemed sincere about it too, except for the staff at the hotel front desk.

On logistics, generally things went as we expected. There were no problems with boarding. Our first problem was our room. The ship has some inside cabins that are arranged sideways along the corridor, as opposed to being narrow and deep. Our agent assured us that that would be no problem. However, the door opens into the room where the settee would normally be, so you lose that place to sit. This is partly the fault of the layout of the ship, and partly our agent's fault. Half a strike on that one.

Part way into the cruise the A/C went off in the cabin, late at night. A call for service resulted in a fairly timely repair, that of replacing a "fuse." The next night the same thing happened. Finally, a more major repair of replacing the blower motor was required. Now things do break. That's understandable. And it was all carried off pretty efficiently, but was still an annoyance. It could have been fixed right the first time. Half a strike on that one.

I got sick from the food on the ship twice. Once it was from cold fish from the buffet that is given on the first sea day. AVOID IT! It is probably a way to get rid of left overs from the previous cruise, IMHO. I know it was the fish as that was the only thing I ate there. By evening I was on the toilet, but never felt weak or ill. It had to be food poisoning. It ruined the plans for the next day, even though as it turned out, I was better by mid-day.

The second time was later in the cruise. Once again, fish. This time it was the fish and chips at lunch. It was not properly warmed, I think, and once again, by evening, the same symptoms. So for this, two BIG outs for Celebrity.

Plus our stateroom had a cockroach appear in it toward the end of the cruise. One more out for Celebrity.

So the score, after this inning, was a couple of runs, but they could have done a lot better. I don't know if we'll go back again. So far they have not seen fit to provide any compensation for these problems, just a "we're looking into it."

Too bad. We like the ship. It's some attention to the details that needs to be taken care of.

Mostly good but some disappointments

Celebrity Constellation Cruise Review by Technobob

• Sail Date: February 2011
  • Destination: Southern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Inside Stateroom 11

Technobob’s Full Rating Summary
Rates

Inside Stateroom 11
Cabin 11 2174
Sideways inside cabin with doorway that requires that there be no settee in the room. Inferior to a standard inside cabin. Location was quiet, and convenient to dining rooms aft.
Deck 2 Inside Cabins, Outside Cabins