3. Norwegian Epic
I did not intend to travel solo but my ex-girlfriend (who suggested the cruise) broke up with me after it was too late to get a refund, so I went on my own not knowing about the Solo traveler programs unique to the Epic.

After a cancelled flight and making some very creative arrangements to get to Miami, I arrived with only 15 minutes before the cut-off time (which thankfully is really 3:00, not 2:00 as stated on documents). Needless to say, embarkation was super-fast as everyone else was on the boat.

Once on the boat, I learned about the daily Solo Traveler meet-up in the Living Room studio lounge. Normally the lounge is available to only people staying in the small studios, but during the meet-up time it is open to all solo travelers. It includes a happy hour 2-for-1 drinks served by Julio, a fantastic friendly bartender.

There is a solo traveler coordinator who facilitates introductions, sets up group activities, and has surprise events during the meet-ups. We met the captain one day. A different day, the magician Jeff Hobson gave a private show. We were offered a tour of the bridge. We were offered a group dinner with complementary wine. Natalie was the coordinator, and she made the cruise special.

Dining: Decent food everywhere, great food in a some places -- soup @ noodle bar, daily cold soup @ buffet; appetizers @ steakhouse; very slow service in all sit-down restaurants. You would think they would want to rotate people out quicker. I almost left Cagney's without paying the $25 specialty dining fee because it took 35 minutes to get the check.

Entertainment: Blue Man Group was a great show, nearly identical to the one in Las Vegas & NYC; Legends in Concert was ok; Jeff Hobson was did a great late-night PG13 magic show and a fun family afternoon show; Second City comedy troop was also good. But the highlight was Slam Allen performing jazz at Fat Cats. This guy acts like he's still in New Orleans.

Staff: Everyone, everyone was friendly & helpful. The steward was great. He had my mini-bar cleared out so I couple put medication in. When he realized I brought my own tea bags and liked it cold, he refilled my ice bucket 3 times a day. I thought that everyone on the ship except for dining staff went out of their way for customers.

Great for Solo Travelers!

Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by wowzers

wowzers’s Full Rating Summary
Rates

Family Balcony
Cabin B4
If you get a balcony room, try to get a '103' room. It has an extra-large space for two lounge chairs.

My room was not a '103'. It had plenty of storage space and a decent vertical (?) layout. The split toilet & shower took a bit of getting used to.
Deck 14 Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins, Suite Cabins