3. Adventure of the Seas
I just returned from the cruise this evening and wanted to put thoughts to paper before they get forgotten. I enjoyed my cruise very much and am a first-time cruiser. I went with my family including 2 children one age 3 and one age 1. We specifically chose the Adventure of the Seas for its Adventure Ocean program catering to children age 3 and above as long as they are out of diapers. We used the Adventure Ocean a couple times but I was somewhat disappointed in the fact that although it showed a very full calendar of events for each day, often the children were placed in front of a video and did nothing more than "veg out." A strange phenomenon which occurred on our cruise and I am not sure if it is a regular thing on this ship is that there was an enormous group of Puerto Ricans aboard the ship -- they were definitely in the majority of passengers on the ship. This of course would not be a problem at all except for the fact that my child spent time in the Adventure Ocean program with children and counselors who spoke mainly Spanish. Maybe this is why they did not have as many activities as previously planned. Another issue I have in terms of child friendliness is the fact that no children in diapers or swim diapers are allowed in ANY of the pools at ANY time. This of course meant our younger child was not permitted to enter any of the pools (including the children's pool) because of the swim diaper. If you have a young child who is not potty-trained and needs a swim diaper forget about this ship or forget about going to the pool which is what we pretty much had to do. Their many signs about health concerns regulating the fact that children in diapers are not allowed in pools is questionable as I never saw anyone checking the various water levels at any time AND the pools are open 24 hours a day and frankly I am more concerned with what an ADULT does in that pool at 3 a.m. than a baby any day! This policy was very irritating and certainly complicated matters for us in terms of being able to enjoy time on the decks by the pools. Another thing is that many of the activities in the evening did not start until well past most of our bed times -- 11:30 for some people is rather late.... we were able to attend a few events which were held at more reasonable times but with 2 small children getting to bed at a reasonable time is also important for the parents... We used the "Cyber Cabin" service which was to provide us internet in our cabin. For the steep price of $100 we received a very pathetic dial-up connection which was out half the time. We were needless-to-say extremely disappointed in this service although the $0.50/minute charge on the ship to use their computers was not much better either. Royal Caribbean really needs to improve this service. I also was surprised at the fact that Royal Caribbean did not provide lotion in their cabins -- a small little item which can be found in most cheap motels and would certainly have been appreciated on the cruise. Our evening waiters were unbelievable -- they were extremely attentive and had excellent memories and were always very quick to be of service to us. Each night we would return to our cabin and find the attendant had created a new towel animal to the delight of our children. It was wonderful to say the least. The ports are what they are -- we did not take part in any of the arranged excursions as we found the prices to be very steep. Instead we opted for renting cars in some ports, taking cabs in other ports and water ferries in other ports to get around. None of us were big shoppers and we would often spend half a day at a beach. The infirmary on board was extremely helpful to all of us and were well equipped for some of the medical issues our family had.

Adventure of the Seas - Southern Caribbean