• Newsletter

10+ Cruises • Age 70s

Value for Money

Sail Date: Mar 2011
Cabin: Balcony

Cunard certainly has carved out it's targeted market. I have never seen so many wheelchairs, motorized scooters, walkers, portable oxygen tanks, canes etc on any cruise I have ever been on. The only thing missing was nurses in white uniforms pushing people around. The average age had to be eighty.

My partner and I knew going in this would probably be the case so it wasn't that much of a shock. Thankfully the cruise didn't cost us anything, still, it was , oh how shall I say it...an experience! I cannot understand why anyone would want to intentionally take a cruise on a ship filled with the elderly. It's annoying enough waiting behind one wheel chair, imagine a line of them. On top of that the idiots at Cunard scheduled three of the six ports as tender ports! Tendering is enough of a nuisance for able people but for the seniors it was a real hassle. So many of them never even bothered trying after their first attempt getting on and off a tender. Cunard could have easily substituted Mazatlan and Alcapulco for the Mexican tender ports of Cabo San Lucas and Zihuatanejo. They really needed their heads examined for that schedule.

The dress code for men on Cunard was strictly enforced in the evenings which is another reason I would never step foot on Cunard again. Eight of the fifteen nights were suits and ties. Honestly, I just don't get it. Going to all that trouble packing all those clothes and then getting dressed so you eat dinner. I get it that women enjoy playing dress up but they look infinitely more comfortable in their finery that we do in long sleeve shirts buttoned up to the necks with a knotted tie around our neck. Add a jacket to that and it's really all rather silly. Norwegian Cruise Lines really has the answer for this tradition. Want to wear a tux? Go ahead...a suit...okay...sport shirt, Hawaiian shirt, long pants, short pants, jeans, slacks? All are fine. Princess and Royal Caribbean are just as easy going and no one seems to have an issue. Cunard, at least on my sole adventure on the Queen Vicky doesn't delivered enough of the goods to demand such formal requirements so it's all artifice. Trying to deliver a false sense of grandeur to those who want to believe they are a part of some grand tradition. More of an illusion actually.

Balcony