• TRAVEL NOTICE: Learn more about COVID-19

Seasonedcruiser0510
6-10 Cruises • Age 50s

Sail Date: Feb 2011
Cabin: Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony

My wife and I were in a large business group of roughly 150 people. We flew to Miami, stayed overnight at the Airport Fairfield Inn, and then took a bus to the cruise port the next morning. The hotel was fine, although it was tough finding a local place to eat dinner. We did find a reasonable place after a few looks around, but the location of this hotel isn't as good as some others. I would, however, stay here again because it was clean, staff was good, and they really took care of our large group with no worries).

Embarkation was very smooth. So long as you had your Set Sail Pass and supporting documents, it was 1-2-3...and you were on the boat. Total embarkation time couldn't have been more than 20 minutes....tops.

This ship had so many different activities it was hard to keep track of them all. That, overall, was great. We didn't do a lot of them outside of the entertainment, though. This was a shorter cruise, we were tired, and ended up enjoying the quieter things, like reading, dining, strolling, etc. Many of our group reported great fun on the Flowrider, climbing wall, ice skating, pool activities, you name it. The promenade was about the coolest thing I've ever seen on any cruise ship. Shops were good, too, although it was typical cruise stuff like watches, bags, booze, and other boring stuff. Be kinda fun if somebody got creative and put a lingerie shop on one of these. I think they'd find revenue from the men go through the roof...

Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony

Cabin E2

Port Reviews

Belize City

Belize is a very, very, very, very poor country. Be prepared for that. We did not spend much time in port outside of our excurision because of how long it took to complete (zip-lining and rapelling).

The excursion we did was a blast. Five zip line passes, and two rapelling legs - part of which was inside a cave. Very fun, very unique...and I'd do it again!

Costa Maya

Good port, and cleaner and more modern than Belize. We didn't spend more than 60 minutes in the port area, but shopping was OK. I did notice that the pool area in the port and bars were chock-full of people when we returned from our excursion, though....and it looked like they were having a great time.

We visited Kohunlich ruins. Long bus ride, but well worth the time. We learned a lot, and the ruins were incredible. Would do this again in a minute.

Note - some of our group did Kohunlich and the other location (Disbache?). They enjoyed both, but were a little rushed at the second stop because of the travel time required. Beware if you do this tour....the two-stop bus was late getting into port, but since it was a Royal-sponsored tour, we waited.

Cozumel

What do you say about Cozumel, other than that it it's a great port with more activities to do than you could possibly complete in a lifetime.

We did the 3 Reef Snorkel. Fabulous.

Shopping was, and always is good in Costa Maya. If you arrive at a terminal other than (I think) Porta Maya, go to Porta Maya. Shopping is better, there's a Ron Jon's location...and the Los Cinco Soles silver shop is better. We love Los Cinco Soles. Prices are good...the help doesn't give you any B.S. about what they are selling, and they KNOW their product.

Find a Liberty of the Seas Cruise from $249