3. Carnival Victory
Many helpful crew all of whom spoke good English , even the deck hands, from a really nice wide variety of countries. Front desk staff least helpful, go figure.

Joe Farcus decor amazing - the jazz lounge with museum quality Greek vases and club furnishings, the Russian czar walk up bar, the Hong Kong/ Macao casino decor, the original Olympics sports bar . The overall theme was the oceans of the world and it is magnificently done.

I feel as though I had the best cabin on the ship #1111, easy access to the mid ship sun and fun, steps from the gym, total privacy and tranquility due to only 13 other cabins on the spa deck and no one across the hall or on one side.

The best gazpacho and sauce bernaise I have had in years. Really smart hostesses in the open seating dining room who paired me nightly with perfect dinner companions.

So what's not good ? The lumpy bridge of the queen bed, the slow room service, the non aquatic shore excursions which are based on tedious bus rides. That said, the sailing plus snorkeling and swimming outings are excellent.

It's a big ship so we were surprised it veered off at St Martin and wouldn't dock due to Igor, and kayaking was cancelled for the same reason in St Kitts which is a very pretty and civilized island cf Dominica which is a miss. People were terrified by the roads, the tubing river filthy and dangerous and the whole experience off putting.

The cafeteria, as on all ships is awful. Lousy food lying about for hours. Stick to the dining rooms and you cannot go wrong. For those, and I am one , who won't go near burgers or pizza there is a sushi bar for between meal ( healthy) snacks and it too has gorgeous pelagic themes, appropriately.

All in all I was very pleasantly surprised by this boat and the truly nice people on the cruise. I would love to go on it again; it was a real pleasure.

Carniival Victory : a great surprise

Carnival Victory Cruise Review by Peakbagger

Peakbagger’s Full Rating Summary
Rates

Balcony
Cabin 8F 1111
#1111 - the absolute best one can possibly imagine - three steps to the top of the middeck open area, absolute quiet and serenity, decent service given so few rooms ( i went 3 hr early after I got my key to dump my bag and go off to walk around San Juan and had no problem - room was ready, key worked and no one bothered about me.
room only has shower and I kinda like the HAL bathtus esp in frosty Alaska but no big deal
bed not great, balcony good for testing the air and drying wet suits and shoes.
Btw, on this port a day cruise, I never was able to spend a day in normal clothes ; I was always on some watery excursion where we had to wear our bathing suits and sit in wet suits for a long ride home so the shower "clothes line" was most welcome
Spa Deck Balcony Cabins

• Dominica
    San Juan - get there early and walk around the old streets and forts for several hours St Thomas- a useless place but for an excursion to an island and some magical underwater sights of fish and shipwreck. St John's biosphere and coves also worth getting as far away from St Thomas as possible. Barbados- skip the island tour - so boring and nothing interesting to see. Do the sail, sea turtle, snorkel , swim excursion - it's a 10 St Lucia- les Pitons are cool looking rocky protrusions at the southern coast and make for a fantastic label on the local beer. Good shopping area near where the boat docks and lots of cafes. St Kitts_ stunning island- best sights are the volcano, batik factory, south coast views from the hilltop, beaches south of town and very nice port area and old town. Dominica- very poor and run down with scary roads and nothing safe to do in town and tubing can get you hurt- lovely hand woven baskets by locals- Indian community isn't really , waterfall nothing special. I wish these folks well as they seem totally nice but it's a rough stop and not much you's want to do, see, buy etc

View All 669 Dominica Cruise Port Reviews