Having just returned from a 11night cruise with P&O on Oriana, leaving from Southampton on the 28th December, visiting Madeira the canary islands Lisbon and Vigo. I feel compelled to write a review so that other inexperienced cruise customers can have i hope an unbiased view,as even though i asked other people prior to booking this cruise and also scoured the on line reviews i don't feel i saw the points that i will raise laid out in black and white even though once on the cruise certain aspects that i found were not for us were known to others. So having said all that I'm sure for a lot of others on the cruise it did exactly what it said on the tin,lots of roll out the barrel sing along, talks on swollen joints, knitting classes, ballroom dances, football on TV,old rom com movies and ancient sitcoms in cabin and a headline act of Richard Digance. My partner and i have been on one other cruise about 4 years ago with royal Caribbean mariner of the seas (i will use a system 1-10 ,5 or below is i consider unacceptable for the price of the cruise) 1 the ship itself facilities ,cabin, 2 food 3 service 4 entertainment on all these points without fail Royal Caribbean came in at 8/9 we had a great time. On arriving at Southampton to check onto the Oriana we joined the long queue to board and this is when it first struck us that all was not as we expected we looked around at the majority of our fellow passengers and for one bizarre minute we thought we had got into the wrong queue and were lining up for a post Christmas offer to join a new northern nursing home, We assured ourselves that this was just a statistical blip owing to the prompt time we joined the ship and decided to bravely go on board beyond the point of no return. We found the food during the day ie breakfast and lunch was boring ,repetitive, and unimaginative like one would get at a average works canteen,it was difficult to find a seat and we felt we were participating in a rushed bun fight daily. We were lucky as we went for the late sitting we did find ourselves seated with some very nice people, and enjoyed the evening meals as they were relaxed with a set seat and the food up to the expected standard. The Oriana itself also felt very tired and dated when comparing it to the Mariner of the Seas. so for all the reasons given i would score Oriana 3/4 in all the categories listed above,we would not personally repeat the experience and had the cruise gone on much longer i think after day 5 we would have got off and flown home. As I say I'm sure this may be to some peoples taste and a lot of the fault may be my naivety and or lack of research ,i hope others might just add this review into the mix before deciding if a similar cruise is for them.

Oriana new year 2011