3. Sapphire Princess
My wife and I were on the December 11th sailing of the Sapphire Princess to the Mexican Riviera. We flew from Kansas City to Los Angeles on Southwest Airlines, and we actually got off on time and arrived 30 minutes early. Add to that the fact that Southwest allows 2 free bags per person, and we were very happy. This was our fifth cruise with Princess, which means that after this cruise we became Platinum members. We had purchased transfers to the port, so we met the Princess people in baggage claim. They picked up our luggage and loaded us on a bus and took us to a local hotel to complete our check in. They loaded us back on the bus about 11:30 and took us to the cruise port. Since we were already checked in all we had to do was stop at a table and pickup our room cards, go through security and get on the ship. All in all it was a nice alternative to going to the cruise port and sitting around until the ship was ready. We had a balcony room B746 at the back of the ship on Baja deck. The room itself was a standard balcony room, but the balcony was oversized, and had a nice view forward as well as to the side. Our room steward Mario he was rather reserved, but he did a good job of keeping our room nice. Unfortunately our first issue with the ship popped up as we entered our room. First look at our bed you could tell that the mattress was worn out. Now granted I can't say that Princess has the best mattresses, but this one was just old. We knew that replacing the mattress wasn't an option so we asked Mario for a mattress pad. Much to our chagrin Mario said there was a mattress pad on the bed. And he wasn't kidding! Needless to say we spent 7 rather uncomfortable nights on that bed. Regarding the Sapphire Princess she is a nice ship, but having recently cruised on the Crown Princess and Ruby Princess the ship is sorely lacking some of the updates that have been added to the other older Grand class ships. The alternate dining steakhouse was just a corner of the Horizon court. We seldom noticed anyone eating there. We dined at the Horizon Court for most meals. We do this because we just prefer the convenience of eating when we want. The food over all was good. We went to see a couple of the comedy shows, which were both excellent, and visited the casino a few times. Otherwise we spent as much time as we could on the balcony. The weather at times was cool and foggy. After 2 sea days we made our first stop at Puerto Vallarta. While there we took the "ATV Adventure- PVR-545" excursion. The excursion was OK, although probably about two thirds of the adventure was on paved and gravel roads. Not quite what we expected. Next day we arrived in Mazatlan in a thick fog. No sooner did we dock and they closed the port. My wife and I had booked separate excursions; she had the "Huana Coa Zip Line Adventure MZT-400", which she thoroughly enjoyed. I had the "Mazatlan Sportfishing MZT-570", which unfortunately was a huge waste of money. The boat was clean, but old. In my opinion it wasn't really setup to handle locating and catching the large fish that I would have hoped to catch. It had no fish location electronics, nor did it have secured seating to fight large fish. There were 4 of us from the ship, and we had 1 bite all day long. Next day we arrived in Cabo San Lucas for a short 5-hour stay. While there we took the "Whale Watching SJD-640" excursion that was very entertaining and informative. We went into town and walked around afterwards. Wish that we could have spent more time in Cabo. Would have preferred to get a fishing excursion there as opposed to Mazatlan. After a sea day we arrived back in Los Angeles. They had what they called silent disembarkation. We all had time to meet at certain locations on the Promenade deck. But for some reason there was a delay and we were over an hour late in getting off the ship. While I can't say that I didn't enjoy the cruise, I can't say that it lived up to our expectations. The lack of upgrades to the ship and uncomfortable bed, the limited choice and quality of the excursions, and the short stay in Cabo San Lucas left us disappointed. I don't imagine we will take this itinerary again with Princess.

Dec 11th Mexican Riviera underwhelmed

Rates
Get Sapphire Princess price drops

Balcony
Cabin BF B746
Room B746. This is a great balcony room at the back of the ship. Large balcony with a great view. Will always try and book this or similar room.
Lido Deck Inside Cabins, Balcony Cabins