Our last cruise with HAL was a christmass-cruise in 2009. The captain even did not want to sail because the ship was not ready, but was forced by HAL!, as the hotel-director told us. A lot has been written here about that drama-cruise, so I will not repeat it. Just because we got a little compensation from HAL, we tried this cruise. The nautical part was okay this time, but when it is about service at the dining-rooms and bars and the quality of the food, they did everything they could to convince us, we should not return. Every day the cruise-director was talking about their supreme and exellent quality. Very, very irritating when the reality is: very poor and cheap food and to expensive shore-excursions. Formerly you could have a look at the bridge. That is still possible, but now you have to pay 150! dollars, where it has always been for free. About food and drinks: Fresh orange-juice was not available for about a week. "it has run out" they told us. As if that's normal. Fresh fruit? melon and apples yes, but only some days a bit more variation, but then you had to run, for there was never enough. At dinner chicken, chicken and more chicken and some other cheap meat, always badly prepared. I have never seen a good tournedos on the menu. That was a lot better 2 years ago. This time several times the menu offered a choice that was not available. When you choose a rasberry-dessert from the menu, you got a half white not ripe strawberry with some strawberry-marmelade. A choice from the cheese-menu was recommended, but there was no cheese-menu. You had to tell what cheese you liked. And so on...... At the pool-bar they served warm coke every day. Disgusting! You had to ask ever time: "please I would like a cold one, before they opened the fridge. Once, when I asked a servant: don't you have a cold one?, "No, sorry", she lied. Are you sure? I asked then. No clear answer followed. Then, asking the same at the bar, it was no problem to get a cold one. Our cruise was about half price this time. But every dollar was one to much! We did not book our next cruise at HAL.

Dining Disaster

Noordam Cruise Review by Joe-Neth

• Sail Date: December 2010
  • Destination: Southern Caribbean
  • Cabin Type: Deluxe Ocean-View Verandah Stateroom

About food and drinks:

Our cruise was about half price this time. But every dollar was one to much!

We did not book our next cruise at HAL.
Joe-Neth’s Full Rating Summary